Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
I have stuck fermentation on my stout and i keep it in a cooler set to 64 for first week at then 67 after main fermentation has died down, little to no bubbling in airlock. However Today my Final Gravity was 1.030 instead of 1.014. My believe my problem is either:
A: I didnt introduce enough oxygen when pitching the yeast
or
B: The yeast got to hot before pitching and killed most of it. (Live in florida and brew outside.)

or C: both.

So to check for under oxygen I reshook the carboy to aerate it but now read online that aerating after fermentation begins can cause stale flavors as well as diacetyl. So did I ruin my beer by doing this. Also if stirring it up doesn't rekick fermentation can I just add another pack of yweast to get it going again?

Thank you.

Extract or grain ? What was your mash temp? I just used amylase for the first time after too high mash temp and was able to get my Kolsch from 1.02 to 1.01 in 4 days after adding one teaspoon. No extra yeast. Just let what was there get back working

160 is a little high mash temp for my taste. What was your OG?

sometimes those last couple points take a long time. But at 1.030 you may want to repitch. Maybe try a pretty hardy yeast with a higher attenuation. Some yeast like Nottingham are known for working a wider range of sugars.

160 is a little high mash temp for my taste. What was your OG?

sometimes those last couple points take a long time. But at 1.030 you may want to repitch. Maybe try a pretty hardy yeast with a higher attenuation. Some yeast like Nottingham are known for working a wider range of sugars.

Beersmith has 160 pitch and 156 mash temp so I most likely followed that but bottom of kettle may have been a tad hotter, as i do BIAB. OG was 1.036 wich was 1 point off of as target was 1.037 but my final volume was a tad high.

Likely too hot and have no fermentable sugars (maybe)... I have done this on a 20bbl batch Before...ouch!!! And the remedy was to brew a small batch, add to the other, and pitch yeast...don't just pitch more yeast..you could use some dome ... You could possibly attempt to arouse the yeast bed with a sanitary spoon..be careful since you do not have high alcohol to kill the germs yet... The the result after my bandaid testimonial was some of the most tasty beer we have made yet... Not very repeatable though..

With a mash temp of 160 (which is very high), that means a more dextrinous wort, with less fermentable sugars. In other words, the beer is simply done. Repitching will not help, as the problem is not the yeast- it is the make up of the wort from the extraordinarily high mash temp.

I mash one or two beers at 155, but most are mashed at 152 or so except for the lightest driest beers that I mash at 149/150. Your recipe is at fault, or at least the mash directions in the recipe, if you wanted to hit something like 1.014.

And yes, by aerating a finished beer you will have ruined it by oxidizing it. Oxidation may take a while to show up in the flavor, so I'd bottle it and drink it sooner than later.

Beersmith has 160 pitch and 156 mash temp so I most likely followed that but bottom of kettle may have been a tad hotter, as i do BIAB. OG was 1.036 wich was 1 point off of as target was 1.037 but my final volume was a tad high.

I just saw this post.

Remember, that YOU input the data into Beersmith, so if Beersmith has a mash temp of 156 and it may have been higher, the next time you use it, change the data to a more appropriate mash temp of 152, and try to stir well enough so that you don't have hot spots and cooler spots.

But beer Smith calculated everything off of style and body and equipment to give me that temp, it's not a number I put in there
I was going to repitch yeast to narrow down my error to temp or yeast but I think I'm going to just start over.

Higher mash temp = higher body and I don't want a dry stout. And 156 is what beer Smith gives me for full body. So maybe I'll stir more and not flame bump it to keep it at 156 and let it drop a little bit.

But beer Smith calculated everything off of style and body and equipment to give me that temp, it's not a number I put in there
I was going to repitch yeast to narrow down my error to temp or yeast but I think I'm going to just start over.

Higher mash temp = higher body and I don't want a dry stout. And 156 is what beer Smith gives me for full body. So maybe I'll stir more and not flame bump it to keep it at 156 and let it drop a little bit.

Yes, Beersmith does have some defaults- but the info really isn't all that great. I have Beersmith, and have being using it for almost 10 years, but I realize that I am the one that sets the mash temps and mash thickness and things like that. If you go in and adjust your settings, it'll be far more useful.

It's not just "full body" that you get with a high mash temp- you got tons more of unfermentables (ie 'dextrinous wort'), which means a very high FG. Most people wouldn't mash a beer at 156, unless they wanted a very high FG, and sweet finish, along with a thick body.

A dry stout is good mashed at 150/151, while I do mash my oatmeal stout at 154 or so. But that is for my system, and it finishes at 1.018-1.020 or so. If you want to get near 1.014, which you mentioned in your first post, mashing at 156 will NEVER do it.

Heres the brewsmith steps: Wondering anythig to change or add or just expect a slightly higher FG?

Boil Size: 4.68 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.91 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 31.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------