Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayRidgeBrkylnBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody, So I've got an all grain sweet milk stout (all grain) in the primary fermenter and it's been in there 10 days. I clocked it at 1031 7 days in and 1030 at 10 days. The airlock is still barely active (I mean a blurp maybe every 20 mins) and the kreusen is all but gone. My FG should be 1020 but is it really going to take me 3 days for each .001 (ie 27 days) to hit FG or should I just bottle it? It's a Danstar Windsor British ale yeast, and the temp has been around 68-70F...thanks is advance for your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What was your mash temperature? If it was high (156+), it may be more of a case of lack of fermentable sugars remaining than anything to do with yeast

How are you measuring the S.G.? If you're using a refractometer, they're inaccurate once alcohol is present and a correction factor must be applied.

Thanks, good questions. Mash temp was 140 for 30 mins 151 for 60 mins then 15 mins at 160 F. I'm using a good old fashioned hydrometer so you'll know the 1031 to 1030 change is barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much lactose did you use, and how are you figuring your final gravity? I've overshot some FGs before because I forgot that a pound of lactose will increase the FG of a 5 gallon batch 8-9 points over a similar amount of grain. Almost no recipe calculators take this into account.

Back