Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryssunshine

Reaction score
So, two days ago I made my first 3 gallon batch of cider. I was told to try the Nottingham yeast which I never have before. I pitched the entire 11 g packet for the 3 gallons. It has been two days and I don't have any movement in the airlock. Should I repitch the yeast or give it a few more days?

cryssunshine said:
So, two days ago I made my first 3 gallon batch of cider. I was told to try the Nottingham yeast which I never have before. I pitched the entire 11 g packet for the 3 gallons. It has been two days and I don't have any movement in the airlock. Should I repitch the yeast or give it a few more days?

What type of container did you put it in? Size?

As long as your juice didn't have a lot of preservatives, make sure your temps are in at least the low to mid 60s and give it some more time.

bbcook's question is important also. If its in a 6 gallon bucket...it will need a few days just to fill the headspace up with CO2.

It's in a 3 gallon glass carboy (filled to where it starts to curve). I haven't used a brewing bucket for anything I've made yet (I did ask for one for Christmas though).
This was from ambrosia apples I juiced, so no preservatives. The temp is the same I have done all my brews at so far (my house temp) which is about 68 degrees.

cryssunshine said:
It's in a 3 gallon glass carboy (filled to where it starts to curve). I haven't used a brewing bucket for anything I've made yet (I did ask for one for Christmas though).
This was from ambrosia apples I juiced, so no preservatives. The temp is the same I have done all my brews at so far (my house temp) which is about 68 degrees.

It may be dead yeast. I used Nottingham my first brew with similar results. I repitched with a younger packet and away it went. Give it another day or so and if no activity repitch.

Yeah, I just purchased two packets of nottinghams at the same time. Like you said, if it doesn't show activity I will pitch second packet. Hopefully that one is good. Thanks.

It may be dead yeast. I used Nottingham my first brew with similar results. I repitched with a younger packet and away it went. Give it another day or so and if no activity repitch.

I'm about to repitch... do I need to add anymore nutrients/enzymes/ acids/ tannins/honey to the must?

I added the new batch of Nottinghams... there is some CO2 pressure because when I shake the carboy the airlock will release a bubble, but its not really bubbling on its own. I've never experienced this before... I'm not use to this yeast.

The airlock is working in reverse when I shake the carboy! Has anyone ever seen this happen?!? What do I do?

Update us on how it goes. Good luck.

I added the new batch, the airlock started to work in reverse so I moved the location of the carboy Its bubbling now. There are some bubbles on the surface which worries me for some unknown reason... maybe nerves that it will turn into ACV.
My last name is also Cook btw.

cryssunshine said:
I added the new batch, the airlock started to work in reverse so I moved the location of the carboy Its bubbling now. There are some bubbles on the surface which worries me for some unknown reason... maybe nerves that it will turn into ACV.
My last name is also Cook btw.

How's it looking Cook? Turn out ok?

Well, I measured it today and its only at 1.082. I've never had anything ferment this slowly, but this is also my first 3 gallon batch.

Hi all fellow H.brewers.. I just started primary ferm with a cider brew containing. Apple juice concentrate (1gallon), yeast nutrigent, sugar and champange yeast. Its been around 10 hrs since I placed it all into a primary demijohn but all the yeast seems to have settled to the top.instead of a foam like texture at the top of the demijohn, I have a huge ugly gathering of what looks like dead dryed out yeast. I always warm about one litre of juice with the sugar and add that to the colder juice sitting in the demijn. Is it possible the warmed up juice killed my champamge yeast?? ... could somebody explain what the signs are of over heated yeast? The airlock is bubbling a little but that settlement at the top is my big concern.. can anyone help out on this issues??? Cheers:)

This is a picture taken a few hours on, this is what the settlement at the top looks like... pretty awful ... If somebody has an answer please post ASAP???? cheers

All seems well... airlock is bubbling away, so I guess that means its working fine:) thanx for the post:)

Back