Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Linda O' Higgins

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've got 17 gallons of apple cider (11 of which is over one week old) that I just cannot seem to get started. I've added a sachet of activated champagne yeast to each carboy on three occassions and placed the carboys over the heating vents in my living room but so far, nothing! I've made cider once before and know that theres no mistaking primary fermentation when it starts and I'm starting to get worried about this batch. I had a suspicion that I may have added too much SO2 (I added about 5 teaspoons to each carboy upon juicing) but have been trying to oxidise that off by swirling the ciders each day. I'm wondering if the addition of yeast nutrient might do it or if anybody out there has had this experience before could they recommend emergency action.
Yours desperately
Linda

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
hmm I'm not sure about the SO2...

but dried champaign yeast should get to working...what temp is it at? and how long has it been since you pitched?

Adolphus79

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That, and why are they sitting directly on the heating vent?
How long is/has the heat been on?
How long after the SO2 did you pitch your yeast?

mgayer

Reaction score
Can you post the receipe you used to get a better idea of what may have happened. Are you refering to Campden as the SO2 you added? If the temp is between 64 and 74 degrees there should not be and issue. Champagne yeast is very tough and can still work with a lot of problems. If you have a PH tester or strips I would check that first. About 3.6 to 4 is the range yeast can tolerate. Also check the date on the yeast.

Let us know!