Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czm

Reaction score
Have an extract brewed and is stuck at 1.020. Recipe says fg 1.012. I have a packet of Safale us-05. I don't want to go too down below that. I do have some campden tabs to help afterwards. Thoughts?

The dreaded 1.020. It is a barrier that lots of extract brewers come up against, me included. I think your fermentation is probably done - so don't waste another yeast sachet. You can slosh the fermenter a little to resuspend some yeast, but I'm not sure that will help.

What was your recipe? OG?

But no worries, you have beer!

Cheers!

Czm said:
Have an extract brewed and is stuck at 1.020. Recipe says fg 1.012. I have a packet of Safale us-05. I don't want to go too down below that. I do have some campden tabs to help afterwards. Thoughts?

Stuck at 1.020 too on my last extract brew...going to try a yeast starter on my next brew to see if that helps on high gravity recipes.

I've had more than a few extract batches stop at 1.020, even though the kit directions say otherwise. It has to do with the amount of unfermentables in the extract, which you can't control.

I'd leave it be, and if it's still at 1.020 in a week, bottle it.

I was at 1.050 when I topped off.
It was a wheat extract from ahs. Recipe says 1.052. I got 1.050 for some reason and never happened before on an extract.

I went ahead and pitched the 05. I have activity now. I'm doing a starter for tomorrows brew.

Latest posts

Back