Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holysmartone

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to rack my cider and found that it had a terrible odor, and doesnt seem to have finished fermenting. I pitched the yeast on 10/24, so it has been a month and a half.
Here are some details:
Starting gravity 1.08
Gravity as of yesterday 1.04
Nottingham dry ale yeast
Ferment temp of around 55

Im kinda lost here. Ive never used an ale yeast before, and Ive never had it take this long to ferment. Is it too cold? Is this normal? Someone help please. :confused:

55f is pretty cool for ale yeast. Try to get it up around 65

+1

Also, realize that the first whiff of a fermenter after you remove the lid can be pretty horrendous. And if I'm not mistaken, you're more likely to get nasty sulphury odors when there are insufficient nutrients for the yeast. That's more likely with cider than beer.

So at this point, what can I do to save my cider? Warm it up? Add something? I havent had a fermentation get stuck like this before.

I'd warm it up, add some yeast nutrient (nitrogen source, essentially). If you don't see increased activity, I'd then repitch.

Back