Stuck fermentation.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba70665

Reaction score
I've had this problem with my last two beers, so this time when brewing an IPA i went ahead and bought two vials of liquid yeast. I'm 2 weeks in, and I've been stuck at 1.020 for about a week now, and am wondering if its kosher to simply dump the other vial in there.

Also, i was planning on dry hopping in my primary, and have read that its best to do that once fermentation is completely done as to not lose aroma. Should i just plan on an extra week or so in the primary so i can finish fermenting, and then adding hops?

Before repitching, I'd try just gently swirling it around to get some of the cake back up in suspension.

I had a beer stuck at 1.020. After swirling, adding more yeast, moving it to somewhere hotter, etc it was still stuck (and too sweet for me) so on Sunday added Amylase Enzyme which is supposed to help.

I've written more info on AE here:
There is hope! « Homebrew Japan

You might want to read these also:

Before adding the AE:
Beer two is not going well « Homebrew Japan

Progress so far:
Progress update « Homebrew Japan

Since I am trying this for the first time, I can't recommend it or not recommend it, but I thought you should know about it.

Also, a number of IPAs tend to finish around 1.017 so you may just be "finished". I would be tempted to just take the beer as finished and start the dry hopping, maybe waiting a few days time if you want to be cautious.

In my case I used a kit with 1kg of spraymalt and was expecting 1.012. I didn't want to stop at 1.020.

I have the same problem with a clone that I am making of Bells Two Hearted ale. It has been stuck at 1.020 for a few days. I used yeast that I recultured from 6 bottles of the Two Hearted. I have tried resuspending the yeast but nothin. I have the yeast cake from the primary as Ihave it dry hopping already. I foolishly trasfered and added the dry hops and forgot to check the gravity first. So now I have an unfinished Two Heart clone and I am kicking myself for it! Would it be safe to pitch some of the yeast from the cake while the hops are still in there or would that totally ruin my dry hopping?

You bought 2 vials but only pitched one? I assume you didn't make a starter, if so you'd have been much better off to pitch both vials at the beginning rather than save one for possible later pitching if necessary. It's doubtful that the additional 100 billion cells or so in the vial would really have much impact on the gravity of the beer at this point, considering how many cells are already in there now. Warming and swirling are the first thing I'd try.

yeah, i swirled it and let it sit in a heating blanket so it will stay up around 70F. We'll see how it goes, i guess i'm wondering if it could do nothing but help and/or speed the process up if i went ahead and threw the second vial in.... or if it makes no difference.

Back