Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGreuelRules

Reaction score
I brewed a Gulden Draak clone last Monday - mixed up a 1 L starter on the previous Thursday or Friday(tho to be clear I'm pretty sure my OG on the starter was too low). OG of wort came to 1.112 - took a reading last night at 1.056. Fermentation has slowed considerably - I'd say a bubble every 10-15 seconds. This is an Extract w/Steeped Grains brew, & I used Wyeast 1388: Belgian Strong Ale. Any suggestions on the most appropriate way to restart my fermentation? I know it's not done yet, but I don't think this thing is getting to get down to my target FG. FWIW, aeration of wort & temperature control were not an issue - as I've said I think it is due to original pitch count being too low.

Thanks!

Michael

Bubbling really means nothing, it's just a vent NOT a fermentation gauge...the hydrometer is the gauge as to whether anything is wrong or not...but if it's bubbling it is a good sign that allis well...

I know it's not done yet, but I don't think this thing is getting to get down to my target FG

And how do you know this? Did you speak to the yeast and ask them how they were doing? It's been 11 days, give it some time!!

Any suggestions on the most appropriate way to restart my fermentation? I know it's not done yet

If it is not done, why are you trying to restart it?

STEP AWAY FROM THE FERMENTER!!

And how do you know this? Did you speak to the yeast and ask them how they were doing? It's been 11 days, give it some time!!

If it is not done, why are you trying to restart it?

STEP AWAY FROM THE FERMENTER!!

:mug:

I have a belgian strong that I have been feeding candi sugar to...it's been 3 weeks in primary...and has had three krauzens since I brewed it.

Oh and not a single airlock bubble since the very first couple days...

Big beers are best left to their own devices...

Thanks for all the info folks. Quick update - I've let it sit tight now for another 10 days since my last post. Took a reading yesterday - currently at 1.050. That's a drop of .006 in 10 days. Should I still sit on my hands here or does it appear to be trailing off? At this rate it will take another 50 days in the primary to reach my target FG of 1.020. Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Michael

Thanks Revvy. Should I make a starter first or would I be fine just pitching another smack pack? I'm inclined to make a starter. Also - would I need to re-aerate my wort? Will this have any negative impact on flavor?

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks Revvy. Should I make a starter first or would I be fine just pitching another smack pack? I'm inclined to make a starter. Also - would I need to re-aerate my wort? Will this have any negative impact on flavor?

Thanks,
Michael

No on aeration...yes on starter....if you are still stuck at 1.050 you want the yeast all ready to work..

Actually I would aerate the starter a lot...to overcompensate for not being able to aerate the beer.

Are the yeasties really going to be able to do their job properly in the wort w/out any O2?

It's not wort anymore....it is beer by now, though not finished....if you add O2 at this point you will more than likely oxidyze it...then you will end up with 5 gallons of wet carboard...

If you aerate the STARTER, the yeasties will have plenty of O2 to do the job...

They will dive in hungry, and looking for all the unconsumed sugars in the fermenter. They will have the munchies like a stoner at taco bell after the Cheech and Chong reunion concert.

As far as the starter is concerned - should I pitch it when the yeast is lively and has a mini-krausen going, or should I wait until it's settled? If it's the former I imagine I'll pitch the lot - starter wort included...correct? Sorry for all the questions...I don't want to waste this batch!

Thanks.

As far as the starter is concerned - should I pitch it when the yeast is lively and has a mini-krausen going, or should I wait until it's settled? If it's the former I imagine I'll pitch the lot - starter wort included...correct? Sorry for all the questions...I don't want to waste this batch!

Thanks.

That's really a matter of preference or your ability to be there when the krauzen is happening (I'm usually asleep)

But some would say pitching at high krauzen would be preferable since the yeast are active...but realy it will more likely work either way...Now,

Yodardwhahb.jpg

:D

Back