Stuck Fermentation Or Recipe Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBIII

Reaction score
So I brewed an Oktoberfest using Wyeast 2112 California Lager, was expecting a F.G. of about 1.012, but ended up with a F.G of 1.023. The first batch was fermented at 58 degrees F. I decided to do a second batch and after reading the yeast profile, I noticed the recommendation was to brew on the warmer side, so I fermented my second batch at 62 degrees, but still had a F.G. of 1.023.
At this point, I'm wondering if maybe my grain bill has something to do with it...I mashed both batches at 152 F, for an hour and my grain bill is listed below. Anyone have any experience with this particular yeast and/or a similar grain bill?

Munich Light - 7 lbs
Victory - 1.25 lbs
Crystal 20 - .625 lbs
Carafoam - .25 lbs
Munich LME - 3.3 lbs

O.G. 1.066

Did you pitch a big healthy yeast starter? If yes you may have transferred to secondary too soon. I've had success with lager simply letting it sit in the primary for 2 months, tasted exactly like the control batch which was transferred to secondary after a month.

It could be an equipment calibration issue. Say your thermometer was off 6 F then you would actually be mashing at 158 F which could explain the high FG. Or your hydrometer could be off, does it taste really sweet?

Recipe looks fine.

That yeast attenuates about 70%.

I guess your OG was 1.080, so 1.023 is not unreasonable.

Mash lower if you want it to attenuate further.

Did you pitch a big healthy yeast starter? If yes you may have transferred to secondary too soon. I've had success with lager simply letting it sit in the primary for 2 months, tasted exactly like the control batch which was transferred to secondary after a month.

I've brewed over 200 batches and I rarely, if ever, do a yeast starter for anything under 1.070 O.G. and haven't run into F.G. issues, which is why I asked if there is something specific to this particular strain of yeast outside of what one would expect...

It could be an equipment calibration issue. Say your thermometer was off 6 F then you would actually be mashing at 158 F which could explain the high FG. Or your hydrometer could be off, does it taste really sweet?

I verify the accuracy of my temperature gauge and my hydrometer on a regular basis, so from an equipment stand point everything as it should be...

It sounds like a sticky fermentation. I always, even with lagers, raise my temp up after primary is showing signs of stopping. It helps clean up some esters and helps push those last gravity points out.

It sounds like a sticky fermentation. I always, even with lagers, raise my temp up after primary is showing signs of stopping. It helps clean up some esters and helps push those last gravity points out.

Good information, thanks madcow...

Back