Stuck fermentation? or just bottle it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skagneti

Reaction score
My first brew was a True Brew Brown Ale. I followed the directions and pitched dry yeast right in with two stirs at 89 degrees. Stats on kit read
Brew Stats:

Beginning Gravity: 1.043 - 1.045

Final Gravity: 1.010 - 1.012

Hop Bittering Units: 5.5

My original reading was 1.046 and after a almost three week wait it has stuck at a FG of 1.02 and hasn't moved in days. My basement is around 55 degrees so may be a little cold, but don't know what the kit had for yeast since it doesn't say specifically. Should I move it upstairs to warm it up since it is closer to 68-70, should I stir it and hope to get the yeast moving, or should I bottle it. I am a little worried about blowing up bottles so regardless I will probably go light on the priming sugar...thoughts?

Without knowing anything about the yeast, it's hard to say. But, if the wort was warmer while fermenting, and the SG has remained stable for more than a week, and it tastes good (no off flavors) then it's probably done... It might not hurt to get it into the warmer part of the house, for a few days/week to see what happens.

I would NOT stir it. Be as careful as you can when moving it to the other part of the house, so you don't disturb it too much. I would give it another week in the warmer temps just to see what it does. If the SG hasn't changed after the extra week, it's probably done.

There are plenty of times that kits stop at 1.020, even if they say it will go lower. It's the nature of the beast when you use extract kits.

BTW, 89F is a bit high to be pitching the yeast in... Much better to get it to about 70F, and rehydrate the yeast, before pitching dry yeast.

lightly swirl the fermenter to rouse up some of the yeast and bring it upstairs. if it hasn't moved any more in a week then you just got stuck with the "extract 1.02 curse"

Your basement and it's temperature sound great for storing carb'd beer. Not so great for fermenting beer. Warm that puppy up!

I had my last one start off with an OG of 1.044(with a starter) take 2 weeks to get down to 1.020. I gave it another 4 days (still at 20C),& it went down to 1.012. 3 days later,still 1.012,time to dry hop for 4th week. Just give it a few swirls & let it go for another week at 70F or close.

sounds like the consensus is to swirl it a few times gently reseal and heat the room to 70. Shouldn't be to tough have a space heater and it is a small room.

Should I just be giving it a few swirls or a more vigorous mixing. Is there a danger of overly disturbing the yeast cake?

you don’t want to stir it hard or you can oxidize it. Just a few gentle swirls and then to a warmer location.

keep the lid on and just gently swirl it, you're only trying to work up the recently gone dormant yeast, and dont want to kick up all the trub n junk. don't fear if you splash a bit accidentally, theres no oxygen in there anymore

Latest posts

Back