Stuck fermentation or is it done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
About 2 1/2 weeks ago I brewed a chocolate oatmeal cream stout. Grain bill is
1 pound Crystal-120 malted barley
8 ounces roasted malted barley
12 ounces chocolate malted barley
1 pound flaked oats
3 pounds powdered malt extract (dark)
2 pounds powdered malt extract (extra dark)
1.5 ounces Kent Goldings (bittering hops)
1 pound lactose
1 teaspoon Irish Moss (a clarifying agent)
London Ale yeast

The S.G. was 1.060 and pitched the yeast at room temp. into the wort at 75 deg. I did not make a starter for this batch, first time using White Labs. I made sure it was aerated and let the yeast do its job. After 36 hrs it was fermenting like it should. My question is this, after a week, I took a hydrometer reading and it read as 1.037 and three days later took another reading at 1.026. It has now been at 1.026 ever since, for about a week now. Is it safe to say that my stout is done fermenting, or should I add a dry packet to see if it takes off again? Note, I have read somewhere that if you have oatmeal in your receipe, it can change the autention of the yeast, is that correct? Thanks for the input.

Steve

What's with all the lactose? Probably that, with all the oats is going to lead to a lot of unfermentables (and a high finishing gravity based on the density of the liquid).

I had a stuck Steam with Cal Lager yeast, and added a bit of Safale S-05 to bump start it and finish it off. Worked pretty well, and you really couldn't taste the extra ale yeast.

I actually used the receipe from homebrew.com called cream of the crop milk stout and tweaked the grain bill a little bit. The original grain bill did call out for 1lb of lactose and flaked oats. I only switched the roasted barley and chocolate in qty, otherwise everything was the same. I assumed that was the issue and I don't think I will add anymore yeast since I want to get this thing bottled and tasted. thanks again for the reply and now I can relax a bit.

Back