Stuck fermentation or high final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCStokes

Reaction score
So this is my sixth batch, and the previous 5 have all gone really well, no problems. They've all been extract with specialty grains. However, this latest batch should have a final gravity of 1.015 based on the recipe, and my reading after two weeks (today) is 1.022. I also took a reading on Sunday and the gravity was the same, and I gently stirred up some of the bottom.

A couple of previous batches were off by 2 or 3 points, and I understand that there is always going to be some variation. I guess I'm wondering if the final gravity can be off by that much.

I think more importantly is where did you start. What was your OG? Just figure about 75% attenuation and then you should get your final gravity.

Ahhh sorry, the original was 56, which was slightly higher than the 51-53 that the recipe said it would be. That was after mixing it really well. Also, fermentation went really well at the beginning.

Well, with their attenuation the FG should be about 16-17. You are close. Did your temps vary much over that time period? If not, give it a shake. Wait till Sat or Sun and then take a reading, if it is the same rack to secondary of bottle. Good luck.

What is the recipe, and what yeast did you use? Some ingredients are unfermentable, and some recipes include some ingredients that are less fermentable. Also, some yeasts will attenuate over 80%, and some will give you 65%. If you post the recipe, we can give you a better idea.

Unless you have some lactose or something in there causing such a high FG, though, I wouldn't even considering bottling something at 1.022.

The temp is usually right about 65 in my basement, and the warmest i saw on the "fermometer" was 68 or 69. I guess I'll give it a quick stir and wait a few more days. If its still high I'll just bottle it and hope for the best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as the airlock has been on the carboy, shaking it can't oxidize the beer, since any oxygen in the airspace would have been forced out by Co2. I only ask because I would feel more comfortable mixing it this way than opening and using sterilized implements.

Grains:
5oz. crystal
3oz. chocolate

6lbs. Extra Light DME

Bittering:
1.25oz. Fuggles
.5oz. East Kent Goldings

Aroma Hops: .5 oz. East Kent Goldings

Yeast used was dry "Nottingham" which i've used before in another recipe that turned out fine.

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as the recipe goes, right?

Crystal what? 10L? 60L?
With Crystal 60L your SG should be about 46 so you are really not that close yet. I would give it some time. You just pitched the yeast right? The only thing that would cause a problem would be bad yeast that I can see. Hm....hopefully a swirl and some time will get it where we want.

It was 60L, but I thought that was just the color. And no I pitched the yeast two weeks ago, and it had great fermentation the first few days. I guess the only thing I can do is wait.

Nottingham is a great attenuator, and so it's definitely stuck there since your ingredients didn't have much in the way of unfermentables. I'd pick a fresh pack of Nottingham in there, keep it at 68 degrees (off the floor of the basement, with maybe something under it to insulate it from the floor, if it's concrete). No way is this beer done!

Ok thank you everybody for the help, I really do appreciate all the input I can get. It's off the floor on the basement, so I guess for now I'll swirl up as much yeast as I can and wait longer. If it's not any closer by Saturday (earliest I can get to the LHBS) I'll pitch another packet. I'll keep you posted, thanks again.

Yes, the head-space is full of CO2, so you don't have to worry about oxygenation. Not that oxygen is a problem during the the ferment in the first place.

Back