Stuck Fermentation on Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vt_cbg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

15 days ago, I brewed up an the following oatmeal stout recipe:
8# MO
.75# choc malt
1# flaked oats
.5# roasted barley
.5# Crystal 60
.5# flaked barley

I BIAB mashed for 60 min. The mash started at 158, dropping to 154 at the end. The OG was 1.059. I pitched a 750ml starter of WLP013. Normally I aerate by pouring the cooled wort through a mesh strainer into my fermenter. Unfortunately I discovered a leak in my chiller hose so I only got the wort down to about 90 or 100 before I transferred to my bucket. I sealed her up and let her sit in my basement for several hours to cool down. I did shake the bucket before pitching the yeast.

The gravity has been holding still at 1.024 for the past 8 days or so. A few days ago I gently roused the yeast cake and brought it up to a warmer temp in my garage and it still has not moved.

Obviously I made a bunch of mistakes between the crappy aeration and under pitching. That being said, is it done or is there anything else I can do to bring the FG down further? The predicted FG is 1.016, so its a ways off.

Mashing at 158 will surely give you some problems lowering your FG. Thats kinda high, even for a stout. In my expericence, a simple rule of thumb is: The darker the beer, the more attention that has to be paid to aeration. That statement may have exceptions I'm sure, but it seems to ring true for me. So, what I'm trying to say in a nice way is.....She might be done at 1.024. That's a little high for my taste, but that may just be what you end up with.

Well, that's what I was worried about, but its not a big shock. My target mash temp was 156, which I obviously overshot... not my finest brew day for sure. I'll give her another week for the yeast to clean up then bottle. I've been soaking 2 vanilla beans in 6 oz of Makers Mark since the brew day that will be added at bottling.

It may not be exactly what I was planning, but it will still be beer ;). I also placed an order today for an oxygenation kit so at least the aeration won't be a problem in the future.

Thanks for the info!

Back