Stuck fermentation on big lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of a (big) Maibock (1.084). I did a 10 gallon batch and partigyled, 5 gallons of 1.084 and 5 gallons of 1.056. Meant to have a Maibock and Helles but it's more like a Dopplebock and Maibock. Anyway...

Without going into what happened, 1.084 beer was chugging away but my temp in my ferm chamber dropped to about 40. Using Wyeast Munich Lager (WY2308). Looks like it went to sleep as the airlock activity ceased and I don't even see any airlock pressure. Haven't checked SG, this has been fermenting for only 7 days. I know it's too early to panic but i'm pretty sure the yeast has gone to sleep. I did gently swirl the fermenter and there is still a decent thick layer of krausen, but noting moving inside (i can see, clear fermenter) and not pressure/activity in airlock.

What would you do at this point? get a new starter (BIG) going and get ready to rack over to new yeast?

get it back to 48 give her a swirl, let it go and cross your fingers

Have done that, currently have sensor taped to fermenter and set to 51, it's there. that's been a couple days though. Assuming fermentation does not start up again/finish, then what?

might want to krausen the brew if all else fails

How would you go about that? I have the lighter beer next to fermenting away with the same yeast (WLP version, their Souther German Lager). There is a good krausen on the surface of it, would I scoop the foam from the light beer into the heavier one?

Going to check SG, need to see how far it made it...

Lagers can (often do) ferment at only a slightly slower pace that ales; therefore, 7 days of active fermentation may actually put your beer at close to FG. Without checking gravity, your concerns may be premature. If you find that you're still not at FG then slowly increasing the temp a few degrees each day may get the yeast moving again. Essentially, moving your lager towards it's D-rest will hopefully get the yeast to finish up AND give a D-rest. But, it's all conjecture without knowing the current gravity.

How would you go about that? I have the lighter beer next to fermenting away with the same yeast (WLP version, their Souther German Lager). There is a good krausen on the surface of it, would I scoop the foam from the light beer into the heavier one?

Going to check SG, need to see how far it made it...

you know what forget the krausening technique..just try and get the temp back up and swirl a few times..thats alot easier..im sure you will get it up and running again..make sure you do a D rest thoroughly..

So I think I officially need to RAHAHB. Just took a sample, it's VERY cloudy (lots of yeast in suspension) and FULL of CO2, so there's gotta be activity. SG is 1.042 so it's come a long way. With an OG of 1.084 the expected FG could be in the high 1.020's. BeerSmith predicts a FG of 1.021, but that was with a OG of 1.073 vs. 1.084. So another 12 -15 points should put me where I need to be. I will wait another week for primary to "finish" before stressing.

So I think I officially need to RAHAHB. Just took a sample, it's VERY cloudy (lots of yeast in suspension) and FULL of CO2, so there's gotta be activity. SG is 1.042 so it's come a long way. With an OG of 1.084 the expected FG could be in the high 1.020's. BeerSmith predicts a FG of 1.021, but that was with a OG of 1.073 vs. 1.084. So another 12 -15 points should put me where I need to be. I will wait another week for primary to "finish" before stressing.

yeah you are probably golden..no worries dude RDWHAHB

Checked it again and at 1.032, so still going. I raised the temp to 62 for diacetyl rest since it's close to finishing and the next 2 days tons of airlock activity. One more day at 62 (will check SG) and then start ramping 5 degrees a day back down to 32.

Sounds like 10gal of this would need one helluva starter. What did you do in that regard?

Well... this was a partigyle, 2 5 gallon batches. First runnings = Maibock and I did 3 packs of Wyeast Munich Lager in a 2 Liter starter on a stir plate. For the second runnings, a Helles, I pitched about 200ml of yeast I washed from a previous Helles, Wyeast Munich Lager. But nothing happened... 3 days and no signs of any activity at all. So I grabbed 3 vials of White Labs Southern German Lager and just dumped them in, that worked.

Back