Stuck fermentation, new yeast needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Piotr

Reaction score
I have a doppelbock on WLP 833, it fermented from 1.080 only to 1.036.
I tried simple tricks like rousing the yeast, rising temperature, but it is dead stuck.
Now i have two options:
- accept it and get sweeter beer or
- add new yeast starter, the same or different yeast.
I have several Wyeast lager strains, best attenuator seems to be Bohemian Lager. Or - I can use American Ale yeast and finish fermentation in room temperatures.

What is your advice?

SeldomSeen

Reaction score
What about some yeast energizer?
I had a stuck fermentation with my Imperial stout, repitched, and got nothing.
I added 1 cup of sterilized water with 2.5 tsp of yeast energizer to the mix and the fermentation took off about 24 later.

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
Did anything ever come from this Piotr? I'm curious, as I have what I believe to be a stuck Dopplebock as well. 1.085 -> 1.027 at 50F. I'm trying to determine the best next-step.

OP
P

Piotr

Reaction score
Did anything ever come from this Piotr? I'm curious, as I have what I believe to be a stuck Dopplebock as well. 1.085 -> 1.027 at 50F. I'm trying to determine the best next-step.
Alas, nothing.
The CaliAle starter I pitched into doppelbock didn't start working at all.

I had similar situation with Baltic Porter. This time the fermentation re-started, airlock was bubbling lightly some 7-8 days, but there was no significant change in gravity. I think I have to change mashing scheme of those beers.

OP
P

Piotr

Reaction score
What temp did you sac rest at, and what was your grainbill, if you don't mind me asking?

It was a recipe from JZ book:

Weyermann Munich II - 6.35 kg
Weyermann Pils - 1.81 kg
Caramunich III - 0.9 kg

single infusion 68-69*C (154-156) 1 hour + mash out

it should ferment down to 5.5 Plato, but stopped at ~7.5 Plato.

I measured the gravity using refractometer, there is a chance it makes bigger error with such non-standard gravity beers:
I had german pilsener which, according to refractometer fermented to 0.5 Plato, but hydrometer shows almost 2 plato. Similar problem with Saison - refractometer says 2.5 Plato, hydrometer 3.5
Now the beer is lagering, I don't want to disturb it, but while bottling, I'll check the gravity with good hydrometer.

EDIT:
have a look at this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/poor-attenuation-munich-malt-97543/
Keiser gave me some advice about mashing this beer

Latest posts