Stuck Fermentation - Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEIPA_Allday

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Vienna Lager exactly 20 days ago. O.G.: 1.054. Used Omega Yeast OYL - 106 and fermented at 50 degrees. As fermentation slowed I bumped it up to 52 degrees. Just took a sample (1 day shy of 3 weeks) and my F.G was 1.013 which seems pretty high to me. The beer tastes greats with a crisp clean lager characteristic and no unwanted phenolic flavors but there is residual sugar evident that is out of style for a vienna lager. Was hoping to get the beer to dry out a bit more. Any suggestions? The yeast seems pretty inactive at this point and I can’t imagine the beer drying out to any significant amount after 4-6 weeks of lagering at 32 degrees. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Depending on factors like mash temp, 1.013 might be finished.

Usually I bring my cold fermented lagers up to around 62-64F for a week or so after primary fermentation. While called a diacetyl rest, besides getting rid of any diacetyl, it helps yeast dry beer out as much as possible.

It will not dry out much, if any at all, at 32. If already crashed, bringing it back up to 60F might get it re started.

Hello everyone. So, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Vienna Lager exactly 20 days ago. O.G.: 1.054. Used Omega Yeast OYL - 106 and fermented at 50 degrees. As fermentation slowed I bumped it up to 52 degrees. Just took a sample (1 day shy of 3 weeks) and my F.G was 1.013 which seems pretty high to me. The beer tastes greats with a crisp clean lager characteristic and no unwanted phenolic flavors but there is residual sugar evident that is out of style for a vienna lager. Was hoping to get the beer to dry out a bit more. Any suggestions? The yeast seems pretty inactive at this point and I can’t imagine the beer drying out to any significant amount after 4-6 weeks of lagering at 32 degrees. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

IMHO, that bad boy is done! What temp did you mash at?

1.013 isn't that high for an OG of 1.054 that's 76% attenuation. Either way, let that thing lager and enjoy!

Thank you for the replies!

I did a single stage mash at 150 degrees. Was planning on doing a diacetyl rest after lagering but I havent cold crashed yet. May be beneficial to bump up to 62-64 degrees for a week, as you mentioned. Then lager for a month or two. Would love to see this drop just a few more points. Thanks again!

Was planning on doing a diacetyl rest after lagering
You need to do a diacetyl rest at the tail end of fermentation. Before the yeast flocs out and best (most effective) with a couple points left. So you may still be right there now, raise it to 62-65F and let it be for a week.

The yeast manufacturer states 73-77% attenuation for this strain. You got 75%, right in the middle of the range. I agree with Sammy86, your lager is done fermenting. Lager it and drink!

Next time, if you brew the same recipe, try mashing a bit lower and perhaps longer if you want to dry it out. You could also try a different strain. Some versions of 34/70 strain are slightly more attenuating (e.g. the Fermentis dry version).

Next time, if you brew the same recipe, try mashing a bit lower and perhaps longer if you want to dry it out. You could also try a different strain. Some versions of 34/70 strain are slightly more attenuating (e.g. the Fermentis dry version).

Excellent! Thank you!

I use a tilt on my lagers. I watch it and when it hits about 75% completion I ramp up the temp a few degrees a day . I do this until it's in the mid 60's (66f). Let it sit for a few days , then drop the temp a few degrees each day until it's 30's.

Back