Stuck fermentation fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pesi

Reaction score
I have pale ale stuck at 1.040 (1.047sg) 3 weeks in, thanks to the help of people on this forum have determined that poor aeraton is the most likely culprit. If I were to rack to secondary, aerate, and repitch would this start fermentation again or would doing so cause more damage? Thanks

I have pale ale stuck at 1.040 (1.047sg) 3 weeks in, thanks to the help of people on this forum have determined that poor aeraton is the most likely culprit.

even very poor aeration should've dropped it more than 7 points, i think u have another problem going on. i would highly aerate a starter and pitch that tho vs aerating your beer.

even very poor aeration should've dropped it more than 7 points, i think u have another problem going on. i would highly aerate a starter and pitch that tho vs aerating your beer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll do that. curious to know if you have any idea what may have caused this to better prepare my next batch

Definitely not an aeration problem with such low OG. I noticed you had another stuck fermentation as well.

What yeast did you use? How much? If dry, did you rehydrate and what temp was the water when you pitched the yeast? Did you boil the water before? What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast into it? What temp did you ferment at? Cooler temps fermenter slower. If you're in the 50's, that's pushing the limits of ale yeast. If it's in the 50's, I would warm it up to at least 65 and shake the fermenter to get the yeast back up (assuming you did everything else correct). If you can only ferment at those cool temps, I would pitch more yeast than you normally would, and/or look into lager yeasts that ferment ideally in the 50's. A lot of questions I know, but the problem is in the details somewhere.

Oh, also, is this extract beer? Are you doing 5 gallon batches?

Back