Stuck Fermentation - Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I brewed a dry stout recipe. Essentially Jamil's Dry Stout with flaked wheat and oats substituted for flaked barley. Fermented with Nottingham dry yeast at about 63-65F. Everything looked good with steady bubbling over first 3-4 days. I was anticipating FG of 1.008-1.010 but after two weeks it is 1.014 with no visible activity. Added a small amount of US-05 with no activity overnight. I think mash temp may have gotten too high at one point on brew day.

Should I just go ahead and bottle or is there anything else I can do? No yeast nutrient or anything on hand.

Recipe:
http://brewgr.com/recipe/15542/dry-wheat-stout-dry-stout-recipe?public=true

1.014 should be fine - might be a TAD bit sweeter/less dry than you anticipated, but I'd leave well enough alone. If it tastes, smells and looks good, I'd be happy. I tried to lower the FG on a beer once and I should have just let it stay where it was. .3% higher ABV is not worth compromising taste or mouthfeel, in my opinion.

I'd leave it another week or two. The gravity may drop a bit in that time. If not, you'll be sure it's done fermenting, and it should be okay. It may not be a dry stout, but that gravity is well within the guidelines of any other variety of stout.

Thanks. I noticed a tiny amount of bubbles this morning. I will give it a couple more days, otherwise roll with it at 1.014 and try to be more careful with the mash temp next time.

This exact same thing happened to me. Dry stout ending at 1.014 I mean. S-04 for me though rather than Nottingham.

I bottled mine yesterday as it had been stuck at 1.014 for a few days.

But then again, all of my brews seem to be ending up at a slightly high FG. I think I'm getting some ill-effects from too high mash temperatures. Although I've really tried to nail it recently and it still happens!

Back