Stuck Fermentation? Bad Yeast? Bad technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlHungus76

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I recently did my first all grain batch which was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I thought it had gone fairly well, but after pitching the yeast and noticing that there was initial activity, I had to leave town. After returning four days later, I noticed absolutely zero airlock activity which I felt was strange given that I had just made an extract batch of this brew and while it fermented very quickly, it did not completely stop after 4 days.
Curiosity and a gut feeling said that something wasn't right, I popped the lid and looked into the fermenter, all I saw was about 1/4 inch of krausen residue above the beer level and everything else was still. I gave the bucket a shake, hoping to rouse the yeast and waited another 24 hours, still nothing.
With nothing to lose, I decided to get the beer off the trub and rack to another fermenter, to which I just pitched Safale-05 dry yeast packet into (I used notty originally but only had 2 Safale-05 and a Wyeast American Ale smack pack. I thought the -05 would be a better sub. At any rate, it most likely was the yeast I am assuming (time will tell) but the only recognizable screw up in this batch as far as I could tell, was my initial mash was 158 for about 2 minutes before I corrected to 152 using ice cubes. It was also, very very cloudy compared to my other (extract) worts. I crushed my own grain with a Barley Crusher at factory setting. If it is just a coincidence that the first all grain batch was coupled with some non viable yeast so be it. I know I should likely RDWAHAHB, but I am trying to decide whether or not to brew another batch tomorrow and if it may be something other than the yeast (which is entirely possible since I am admittedly fairly n00b and without ego), I would like to know that for a subsequent batch if I should keep an eye out for something else that may cause this. OG was 1.054 and sadly, i dropped my first hydrometer as I was going to take a current reading. Will replace ASAP.

Thanks

It sounds like you may have had a quick vigorous fermenration. The only real way to to tell would be that hydrometer. Seems like you Probly would have been just fine.

Unfortunately, without a current hydrometer reading there is really no way to answer your question. However, in my opinion, it is way to early to even bother with a hydrometer reading. I think you would have been just fine as well. There are so many things that can effect airlock activity that have nothing to do with how the beer is doing.

My concern was that there was no evidence of any krausen short of the very small 1/4 inch above the beer line. Every other beer I have brewed, 12 batches I think, there has been at the very least hops/yeast residue on the lid. Thanks for replying so quickly, we will see how things go.

Never rely on just the airlock. Your hydrometer is your friend. Also, whenever you take a gravity reading, taste the sample. Sometimes a reading alone won't give you the whole picture. Eventually you'll be able to judge where in the process your beer is.

So new topic here (sort of). Just brewed a black IPA last weekend Used this recipe except my 1056 was from a pale ale. Also my ferm temp for primary was around 72 when it should have been around 66. So here's the problem, put it into secondary and took a gravity reading. It was only down to 1.038! was it the high temp that did it? Still tastes great. But would like it to be what it is suppose to. Can u add more yeast into the secondary to try to bring it down? Or is it to late?
(IGNORE THE RECIPE IN THE MIDDLE). Can't figure out how to take it off

image-4009813833.jpg

Attachments

• image-3841102597.jpg
    image-3841102597.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 246
  • image-4265447248.jpg
    image-4265447248.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 214

:off:

Firstly, please start a new thread if you have new questions. Don't veer off topic on unrelated posts.

If the gravity doesn't drop in the next two weeks, do a forced fermentation test to see if pitching more yeast is worth your time.

Also, a beer that's sitting at 1.038 doesn't taste "great" -- it tastes like syrup. How are you measuring the gravity? A refractometer?

Lastly, fermenting a beer too warm won't stall fermentation (as long as you're below 110*F or so) -- if anything it will speed it up and give you a harsh alcohol flavor.

bigbeergeek said:
:off:

Firstly, please start a new thread if you have questions. Don't veer off topic on unrelated posts.

If the gravity doesn't drop in the next two weeks, do a forced fermentation test to see if pitching more yeast is worth your time.

Also, a beer that's sitting at 1.038 doesn't taste "great" -- it tastes like syrup. How are you measuring the gravity? A refractometer?

Lastly, fermenting a beer too warm won't stall fermentation (as long as you're below 110*F or so) -- if anything it will speed it up and give you a harsh alcohol flavor.

While I appreciate the info, the condescending tone is unneeded. It's a pretty similar topic, and people get pissed off when you start new threads when there is one that exists already of similar context.
And it does taste pretty great. I'm using a hydrometer.

If it tastes great, drink it.

there are many many reasons why it could be stuck. With out a lot of information, it is difficult to guess why.

Regardless, yes you can pitch another healthy yeast on top. Just do not aerate it again. You can also rouse the yeast cake to get it back in suspension. (since you are off the cake in secondary, maybe not.). The best advice is to give it time.

you do way more good than harm by leaving it in primary. I pretty much do 3 weeks in temp control no matter what. Let the yeast do its thing!

Ok yea, I'll give it another couple weeks. And check again. If its not there I'll pitch someone yeast. Thanks

While I appreciate the info, the condescending tone is unneeded. It's a pretty similar topic, and people get pissed off when you start new threads when there is one that exists already of similar context.
And it does taste pretty great. I'm using a hydrometer.

I see no condescension in beergeek's post. He was merely pointing out that you've hijacked someone else's thread, and now people are trying to answer your question rather than addressing the original poster's question. People get more upset when you change the topic of a thread rather than starting a new one, even if the new one has been discussed before. No one is mad at you, no one is flaming you, just pointing out that it's in the OP's best interest to keep the thread on their topic.

To both you and the OP, never move the beer out of the primary until you've taken a gravity reading. Time is always your friend, and visual clues are no match for hydrometer readings. If you find your gravity is staying the same over a few days, your fermentation has stalled. If you need to get the gravity down further, there are nutrients you can add to restart the yeast, or you can try pitching more yeast. Just be careful about oxygenation.

But to reiterate, don't transfer out of the primary without checking the gravity more than once.

Guess it doesn't matter what you do. There's always someone to say something about it.

At any rate. Next time I will take the hydrometer before transferring and not during. I just assumed since it had a real vigorous ferm for two days it was goin to be just fine. No more assuming. Thanks

To the OP and the other poster with questions...Every fermentation is different. Just because the first "X" beers did this has no bearing on what yours is currently doing.

By moving it to a secondary before it was finished fermenting (or about 5 points near FG, i.e. at or below 1.020), t-jarks removed many of the yeast who will do the work of taking the beer down from a high gravity to a low FG. Now, it will take longer than if one had just left it alone in primary. Adding new yeast might work but sometimes it does not work because of the alcoholic environment that could be harsh on yeast which are not acclimated.

Like others said here, don't move things (to secondary, to keg or to bottle) until after you have taken a gravity sample and confirmed that the yeast are done. Patience.
cheers,
Wendy

Thanks for the help guys. Turned out fine...as is ALWAYS the case. Patience is the best, and most difficult part of this hobby. Cheers

And thank you Wendy as well. Much appreciated.

KarlHungus76 said:
Thanks for the help guys. Turned out fine...as is ALWAYS the case. Patience is the best, and most difficult part of this hobby. Cheers

Sorry for hijacking your post

Back