stuck ferment solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
I have commented on the last two beers I brewed on other threads. They both seem to be stuck or finished. One is at 1.022 OG 1.067 and the other is at 1.020 OG 1.060.

First one pitched s-33 started fast then pooped out second brew was actually pitched on s-33 cake and took off like a rocket. brought them both up to 68 and swirled to see if that helped....nothing.

My question is if I make a starter with corn sugar and build it big enough can I pitch that to dry these out? Can I just throw in some sugar will that dry it out? In my short 2 years of brewing this is the most frustrated I have been. Needless to say I won't be using s-33 anymore. Sorry to those who love it but s-o5 or notty for my future.

Thanks for any advice on this. I have thrown my hands up:confused:

Never used S-33, so I don't have personal experience from it, but here are a few general thoughts:

1) When making starters you should use some type of extract instead of sugar because the yeasts need other compounds to multiply and sugar does not allow them to create baby yeasts
2) Repitching with a starter should help dry it out, but you may just want to give it a swirl if you haven't already.
3) Just adding sugar may help dry it out, but I wouldn't count on it or use that method.

Never used S-33, so I don't have personal experience from it, but here are a few general thoughts:

1) When making starters you should use some type of extract instead of sugar because the yeasts need other compounds to multiply and sugar does not allow them to create baby yeasts
2) Repitching with a starter should help dry it out, but you may just want to give it a swirl if you haven't already.
3) Just adding sugar may help dry it out, but I wouldn't count on it or use that method.

Yea, I don't have any extract and don't really want to mash some MO to do this. Tried swirling and so far no results.

Sugar would change the recipe. It would effectively add to your OG and (if it all fermented out) increase your overall attenuation. My question is, would it definitely totally ferment at his point? I think normally you'd want to add it just as fermentation was subsiding, not after poop-outage.

After swirling, my next step would be to open it up and stir with a sanitized spoon, detaching the krausen from the sides if needed. That and heat have worked for me.

I think the problem with pitching more yeast is you don't have wort, you have beer. Yeast prefers wort. I've never had to do this, but my last ditch plan has been to rack the beer, add fresh wort (like starter wort) to the yeast cake, wait for activity, then rack the original beer back onto this active cake. But again I've never actually done this.

I'm also unfamiliar with S-33, but would suggest increasing the temp to 72 - might be too high a fermentation temperature for what you are trying to do, but will give the yeast a better shot at reactivating.

Good luck!

Jim

Thanks for the suggestions. I brought up stairs to about 69 and if it does not move in a week I will make up a gallon of wort and pitch some notty and then dump the slurry. If that don't work it is just not ment to be and sweet beer it is.

If you pitched on a cake, a stuck ferment is unlikely. You're around 65% attenuation which is a bit low for that strain, but I'm betting the yeast is done. Did the recipes include a lot of unfermentable content? If you mashed anything, did you mash high? Provide some details, and perhaps we can find a solution.

Well the first on at 1.022 was 11lb MO and 1lb C60 so not a lot of crystal. Mashed at 155.

The second which was pitched on a cake is at 1.020 was 10.5 lb MO .5lb victory and .5lb of C40 mashed lower at 153.

My thoughts keep taking me back to maybe my thermometer is off but every thing before these two beers worked out fine. Do you think that the notty starter would be a waste? Both are around 65 to 66% AA maybe they are done? I just don't know.

You can try the Nottingham, but I think it would be a waste of time and money. I think your beer is done. Someone is going to suggest Beano. I don't recommend it unless you want really dry beer.

Beano as in gas meds. I know I have read something but never payed attention. How to use and how dry and any of flavors?

You can try the Nottingham, but I think it would be a waste of time and money. I think your beer is done. Someone is going to suggest Beano. I don't recommend it unless you want really dry beer.

Beano as in gas meds. I know I have read something but never payed attention. How to use and how dry and any of flavors?

Hehe... Today, that someone is Yuri. :cross:

Beano is primarily amylase enzyme. You add a few crushed tablets, and if there are unfermentable sugars/starches present, the enzyme will break them down. Unfortunately, there's really no way to stop it without reheating the beer. So, you stand to lose all body, mouthfeel, and sweetness.

Does not sound like a solution for me I guess I give it a couple of more weeks and hope it eats a few more points. Then be happy with what I got. Thanks

Well I was just going to bottle the batch of ESB that never got below 1.022. Went to pull the carboy out of the back of the closet (had another in front of it) and it had what I thought was hop pellet gunk on top of it then I notice what is that stuff on the sides. It was clear so I'm curious and then notice stuff falling and rising.

HOLY COW! It is fermenting again and has a little krausen on top. Wow, hope it actually drys out. I am afraid of taking a sample guess I give it another week or so.

So after 5 weeks it actually appears to be going again. Unless this yeast hates me so much that it is just trying to look like it is fermenting to mess with me.:D

Well, a little update to any who care. I just tested the ESB and it dropped to 1.016 after sitting at 1.022 for 5 weeks. Could not be happier.

However the other batch has not moved.:(

Well the second batch 1.060 on 2-28
1.020 on 3-21 still same as a week after pitched
1.014 on 3-28 WTF?

Both beers with s-33 started quick and pooped out soon after just to kick up again 4 or 5 weeks into fermentation. Both ended up with decent attenuation.

Either I am just not that savvy or this yeast is cookoo. Too much stress for me back to notty or us-05.

Back