Stuck Faucet Handle/Lever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
One problem I have had with draft systems is that if I don't pull from the tap for a while the lever gets stuck and I have the give it a good yank to dispense beer. One time I snapped the lever right off.

What causes this problem and is there a why to prevent it from happening?

Thanks!

Standard rear sealing faucets leave beer residue inside, which dries and glues them shut. You can keep a spray bottle of sanitizer solution and a rag handy, and spray it out after every pour. This will help quite a bit, but won't completely eliminate the issue. To eliminate the issue completely, replace the faucet with a forward sealing one, like a Perlick or Ventmatic.

As stated, forward sealing faucets are the best long term fix.

For your current problem, disconnect the beer supply line from the keg. Then remove the faucet from the tower and soak it in hot water. A 15-20 min soak will dissolve the sugar residue from the beer and make it like new.

I also do the sanitizer spray every time I pour, and it does help a lot. Another thing I do is take apart the faucets and clean them from time to time. While I have it taken apart I will use o ring lube on the front seal o rings, which also helps. Sweeter beers will cause more problems than drier ones.

Back