Stuck Coffee Caramel Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtyler8140

Reaction score
I posted this in the beginner forum but haven't received any feedback yet. Thought maybe since I brewed this BIAB you guys might have some more insight for me.

I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of a Caramel Coffee Stout 5 weeks ago and the gravity reading for the past 3 weeks has been right around 1.024. I did not write down the original gravity like a dummy so I'm not sure where I started. I used the BIAB method and the recipe I used is below. In addition to the ingredient list, I also added about 1 cup of homemade butter rum caramel my wife made (recipe also below). I was wondering if 1.024 is too high for this beer to finish or if it is safe to bottle? I have tried on 2 occasions (weeks 3 and 4) to gently "stir" up the yeast to see if they would go back to work, but the gravity reading has stayed the same. Yeast was pitched at 68* and that is also the fermentation temperature. Had incredibly active fermentation the first few days (using a blow off tube) and then switched to a traditional air lock after 4 or 5 days. The brew has remained in the primary for all 5 weeks. I've always just left my brews in the primary for 3 weeks and had great results, this is the first time this has happened. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel
8.0 oz Special B Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
0.40 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.40 oz Kent Golding [5.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min
16.00 oz Cold Brewed Coffee (Added to Primary)
1 Cup Butter Rum Caramel (Added at Flameout)
1.0 pkg Windsor Yeast

Butter Rum Caramel Recipe
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbs Dark Rum
2 Tbs Butter

I posted this in the beginner forum but haven't received any feedback yet. Thought maybe since I brewed this BIAB you guys might have some more insight for me.

I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of a Caramel Coffee Stout 5 weeks ago and the gravity reading for the past 3 weeks has been right around 1.024. I did not write down the original gravity like a dummy so I'm not sure where I started. I used the BIAB method and the recipe I used is below. In addition to the ingredient list, I also added about 1 cup of homemade butter rum caramel my wife made (recipe also below). I was wondering if 1.024 is too high for this beer to finish or if it is safe to bottle? I have tried on 2 occasions (weeks 3 and 4) to gently "stir" up the yeast to see if they would go back to work, but the gravity reading has stayed the same. Yeast was pitched at 68* and that is also the fermentation temperature. Had incredibly active fermentation the first few days (using a blow off tube) and then switched to a traditional air lock after 4 or 5 days. The brew has remained in the primary for all 5 weeks. I've always just left my brews in the primary for 3 weeks and had great results, this is the first time this has happened. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel
8.0 oz Special B Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
0.40 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.40 oz Kent Golding [5.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min
16.00 oz Cold Brewed Coffee (Added to Primary)
1 Cup Butter Rum Caramel (Added at Flameout)
1.0 pkg Windsor Yeast

Butter Rum Caramel Recipe
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbs Dark Rum
2 Tbs Butter

At first look I don't see anything about the recipe that would cause that high of a FG but you didn't tell us the mash temperature. High mash temperature can cause the enzymes to make mostly unfermentable sugars which would leave your FG pretty high. Another thing that can give those readings is using a refractometer instead of a hydrometer for the readings you take after fermentation starts. Alcohol will cause your refractometer to read high.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to keep the mash temperature around 156, although it may have slipped up a bit higher at times. All of the measurements have been taken with a hydrometer. I've been doing some more reading and I have seen some sweeter stouts finishing in the 1.020-1.024 range, especially oatmeal stouts. Something to do with the sugars from the oats being less fermentable. Not sure if I have enough flaked oats to cause this or not.

Out of the 6 lbs of grain, it would appear that the only the 2-row would contribute much to the original gravity. Based on your recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch at about 75% brewhouse efficiency, I end up with a 1.066 OG, and a final gravity around 1.016, 6.5% ABV. However, you mashed relatively high at 156, which means that there will be quite a few non-fermentable dextrins. These will improve mouthfeel, but leave the beer with a higher than expected FG. The addition of caramel at flameout also introduced non-fermentable sugars which would likely raise your FG considerably. Without the caramel, this probably would have come in at 1.020, and these caramelized sugars probably added the extra four points. So, I think this is about right. I would be interested in hearing how this turns out.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. What would be a more desirable mash temp for future reference? I bottled the beer last night so we will find out in a few weeks how it tastes. Tasting the sample, it was very good with a nice coffee finish. Not sure how much caramel will come through.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back