Stuck at 1.035!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy586

Reaction score
have a Amarillo pale ale in the fermenter now. Used WLP001 cal yeast and fermented at 70F. The original gravity was 1.060. I have stirred up the yeast cake and it has gone down a point or two but not much. I brewed on 7/13 and was planning on transferring into the secondary tomorrow, but maybe not since the gravity is so high. I am hoping to get it down to 1.015 or so. Has anyone else had this problem with WLP001?

Do you know what the date on the yeast vial was? No yeast starter? Looking at MrMalty.com yeast calculator a 1.060 ale, 5 gallons, would have needed 2.3 vials if they were brand new on 7/13. And since White Labs puts "best by" date on their vials, you actually have to go back 4 months from the date on the vial to calculate how much yeast you would need, which would be more than 2.3 vials. So basically, you under pitched the yeast.

Try pitching another vial, maybe 2?

Are you using a refractor for the FG? The last three people with this problem were using refractors for FG readings.

Back