Stuck Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feffer

Reaction score
Followed Ed's recipe exactly, but may have made 2 errors in the process. Stirred early on and got a volcano, so some must was ejected. Stirred again late to degas, and this seemed endless, so I set it aside, in the cool garage. It has been giving off little gas bubbles for 2 months. Not enough to cause noticeable bubbling in the air-lock, but it does seem like something is still going on.

Also, the S.G. is still above 1.005 though Ed says it should ferment dry. Also it doesn't clear. It was started Nov 3, 2011. Could I have a stuck fermentation? What's the best way forward with this Apfelwein?

What is the temp in your garage? It might be that you just need to warm it up a little to allow the yeast to finish it off. You should definitely be down around 1.000.

That occurred to me, so I brought it back into the house about two weeks ago where the temp is 64-68. So far very minor bubbling, but no SG change. From Ed's first few posts, I was expecting it would go below 1.000. Most of my other fruit wine projects got below 1.000.

Sorry to resurrect the old thread - but I had a similar question. Just thieved some of my apflewein - Edwort's recipe except subbed brown sugar since I couldn't find any dextrose locally. It's been in the carboy for 6 weeks - temps in the low 60's. The liquid is clear now, SG at 70F was 1.002. There seems to be a modest amount of CO2 in the liquid as it bubbled a bit as I put it in the testing jar. I'm wondering how this residual CO2 affects the SG reading as I imagine it pushes up on the hydrometer a bit. How long would it take for the gas to dissipate?

Thanks!

Back