StuBrew72, New Brewer, Going for a hefe/light to near kristall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuBrew72

Reaction score
HELLO BREW WIZARDS!

So here's where I'm at. I got a brew kit from northern brewer for Christmas this year and this is my first batch . This was "hanks heffewissen" for a 5 gallon kit. Followed the instructions to a tee, (squeezed the grain bag just a little bit, even when it told me not to). Once everything was boiled, chilled, yeast was pitched at wort temp of around 72F ( one pack Dry Safbrew Wb-06). OG=1.050.

My basement held a consistent temp of about 60F-62F throughout fermentation. Fast forward to day 10, the instructions recommended 14 days but I noticed the airlock had pretty much ceased activity so I sampled for a gravity check and it is now at about 1.005-.000. or App. 6-6.25%ABV.

My fear is that my yeast wont be active enough to give me the bottle conditioning I'm hoping for. Especially because I was going to attempt to do a second fermentation for adding some finning solution in a 6gal carboy to lighten it up. Was thinking for another week or so...

Am I doing too much to it by finning my heffe wort in a secondary? and am I risking the yeast leftover for bottle conditioning during the secondary ferm?

...starting to see why so many people have issues with secondary fermentation.

Am I doing too much to it by finning my heffe wort in a secondary? and am I risking the yeast leftover for bottle conditioning during the secondary ferm?

Fining won't remove all the yeast, but if you plan to bottle condition, I'd think you might want to be prepared for a long(er) wait.

Also, it's your first batch. The K.I.S.S. principle might be worth considering.

Last edited:
Heffe’s are cloudy by nature, I won’t attempt to clarify.

Secondary fermenters are largely unnecessary, I wouldn’t bother.

At 10 days and 6.25% abv your yeast should have no problem bottle conditioning.

You’re well on your way to having a fine first homebrew. Don’t sweat it.

Don’t secondary.
If you want a kristall, drop the fermentor to 33F and add gelatin. Then rack carefully off the dropped yeast a few days later.
Don’t worry, you’ll still have plenty of yeast for bottle conditioning.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Great Christmas present, it's how I got started a few years back.

Sounds all fine to me - don't worry, just be patient.
With your ABV + yeast strain you do not need to worry about enough yeast for bottle conditioning.

I had Belgian saison yeast (Safale BE-134) attenuate almost all the way in the first 5-6 days with a similar ABV.
It's also a diastatic yeast strain like yours, and with slow sedimentation.
After 2-3 weeks, bottle conditioning always works like a charm.

Let us know how it turned out!

not many people have 4 refrigerators at their first batch.....

I'll bet the OP is more clever than you're giving him credit for...

1673135549877.png

Back