Strongest & Harshest Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NineHundred

Reaction score
I am looking for the yeast that will give me the strongest, harshest, most distinctly Imperial Stout taste. What would that yeast be?

Please help, I need this answer ASAP.

looking for the actual yeast to leave the those properties, not the actual beer.

Strongest and harshest aren't something I would consider good things... as far as my fav's on RIS's... I like Hale's Pikop Andropov's RIS. Stone's is good as well. My all time favorite was Grant's RIS... I have fonder feelings towards this beer than most every woman I have dated. I miss Bert Grant... (sob)

A "harsher" one is the Rogue's XS RIS in the ceramic bottle.

My $0.02

Eric

thanks! i know strong and harsh are not always good, but i am experimenting. is that last onre the strongest you can think of?

Oh, can you recomend a yeast used for beers (Stouts especially) that will leave the strongest and harshest flavors though?

Find an imperial stout recipe and use whatever yeast it calls for.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/Jamil01-16-06.mp3

Strong and harsh are some weird descriptors for beer that you'd actually want to drink. These are usually attributed to unbalanced alcohol or hop levels. Any big beer with an OG of 1.080 or higher is going to be strong and harsh at least in the first 3 months. You're going to have to describe exactly what flavors you're going for. If you just want a strong beer, add 3 pounds of corn sugar to whatever recipe you use. Pitch a lot of yeast and aerate well.

Yeah, I have an idea in mind, I will share it once I get it down pat. Continued suggestions on such a yeast are much appreciated though. Thanks!

Either be more specific in your desires, or just follow an existing recipe. Describe the flavors you're looking for. "Harsh" is pretty vague...and doesn't even sound good.

I am looking for a yeast that leaves strong, bitter, almost overly flavorfull taste. In short, a Stout yeast that adds harshness to the beer. Something that will leave such a strong Stout taste almost as to cut down on its drinkability with such strong, unforgiving beer taste.

No, I am looking for yeast because I am making an Apple Beer with a recipe I dreamed up. I will send the person who finds the yeast I am looking for a few bottles free of charge.

I will be adding hops and what grain do you suggest? Also, what yeast will most closely help to get those flavors?

I'm sure you want a highly attenuative yeast, but not one that's going to throw a bunch of fusel alcohols and esters (those compounds can sometimes be "harsh," but they don't complement a stout). Nottingham fits that bill about as well as any.

Roasted barley is THE grain that gives stout its roasty, acrid, bitter flavors.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is you are asking the wrong question. The characteristics you are looking for are not a function of the yeast so the answer is no yeast will do what you are asking. The "harsh" character you are looking for in a stout is created by the roasted barley. If you make a stout with way too much roasted barley and a lot of grain to make it strong (or a lot of sugar if you want it strong without all that grain to make it taste like, you know, beer) and use a yeast that ferments dry to remove any sweetness that may mellow the burn taste then maybe ferment it out in the garage at about 90 degrees you shoud get some pretty awful tasting stuff.

Yea, what you want is a large amount of black barley and perhaps black patent. Probably dry it out with a couple pounds of sugar and increase the hop bitterness to around 100 ibus. Chinook hops may be a good choice for the bitterness as they seem to have more punch. Target the OG at 1.100 or bigger for a really full bodied stout.
As for yeast any beer yeast will work in a stout. Its best to avoid the lower attentuating yeast in a big beer. American Ale yeast, a dry English Ale yeast or an Irish Ale would all work. If you can lager even a lager yeast would be fine. Imperial stouts are not about the yeast.

Craig

This is a very weird thread. I know people like to talk about how much character a yeast imparts in a finished product, but never to this degree. Certainly I've never heard of "harsh" being one of them unless maybe you're talking about wild yeast. It sounds like you're going for dirty dishwater with a 750ml of Everclear poured in? Extra harshness if you set it on fire while drinking.

There is NO yeast that produces the characteristics you are looking for, they have nothing to do with the yeast.

Thanks guys and sorry for the n00b question. Just getting started here.

Thank you for this post because I thought you were:

A. A noob and genuinely interested in doing something unique (albiet strange).

B. A troll.

I'm leaning towards A, but it's always possible that you're a previously banned HBT regular trying to yank our chains. :ban:

Nah, I am just getting into the wonderfull world of brewing and I am trying to create an Apple Stout beer.

This may sound crazy.... but what about brewing 3 gallons of rich, heavy, dark Imperial Stout, and 2 gallons of EdWort's Apfelwein, and then blending the two final products?

The Apfelwein is 7-8% ABV, and the Stout can be whatever you'd like it to be.

I can help create a recipe if you'd like.

Or, if you prefer, I could try to come up with a Stout recipe that you could add real apples to, in the secondary fermenter.

Your thoughts?

Brew a cider and a stout. Keep the recipes simple and traditional. Blend them when you pour. See if it's a combination you like. If so, consider adding a little apple juice to your next stout recipe.

That could have tremendous ramifications.... PH balance, off flavors, decreased efficiency, failure to convert starches....

It sounds like you need to slow down and keep your variables controlled. Change one thing at a time. Don't thrown everything you know out the window, and throw a bunch of things together. I know you're eager... but damn, dude. Recipe creation doesn't come instantaneously. Sometimes you have to brew pilot batches, and isolate out variables over time.

When you post back with "I didn't listen, my beer was terrible and I dumped all 5 gallons of it", you may not be met with exactly sympathetic ears.

I'm not tryin' to be a super harsh buzzkill... just... one thing at a time, dude.

Let's start with the stout part. We'll get to the apple part in a bit.

Fair enough. I am looking for a Rogue XS: Imperial Stout clone recipe as well. Also, I have made cider many a time but never with the addition of hops. What if I dry hopped a batch of cider? How would that be?

You can approximate it by pouring a big 'ol pint of cold cider, dropping in a hop pellet or two, and letting it sit/warm for 10-15 mins. Then take a sip, and you should have your answer.

Many people have also taken to dropping a hop pellet into a Coors Light, and letting it sit, in order to "get to know" that particular hop.

Cheers! :fro:

Thanks!!! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks Coors Light tastes like water! I was considering Warrior or Tomahawk hops.

Rogue XS Imperial Stout
26* Plato = 1.110 OG ... @ 73% AA, roughly 1.027 FG
Pale malt
Munich
Caramel 80
Chocolate
Black Patent
Rolled Oats
"Two Secret Ingredients" - I'm guessing one is cocoa powder. B.A. tasting notes lead me to think the other is molasses.

88 IBUs
Bittering: Chinook
Flavor/aroma: Cascade + Willamette

Surely their PacMan yeast.

Now we just need quantities............ Hmm.

I agree with the idea of blending. What you are trying to make is far off the beaten path so I don't think you are going to find any recipes to help you work out your ingredients. Creating a stout and a cider lets you use recipes that are known to produce good examples of each, then blend them until you reach what you are looking for. Or maybe even discover something great that you didn't know you were looking for. If you try to brew it up from scratch, you may have a whole batch of yuck rather that some good stout and some good cider.

If you like Rogue's XS Imperial, you should consider the HBT 888 RIS. You can add more base grain (or base extract, if you do the mini-mash version) for more alcohol content. (Plus, if you do the mini-mash, there's an extract recipe in that thread, you just have to read a little further in.)

If you want info on how it tastes as-is right now, without upping the alc content, head over to the Sampling & Critiquing forum - there's a review thread for each person who participated in the swap (over 20 RISes!).

Strongest and harshest aren't something I would consider good things... as far as my fav's on RIS's... I like Hale's Pikop Andropov's RIS. Stone's is good as well. My all time favorite was Grant's RIS... I have fonder feelings towards this beer than most every woman I have dated. I miss Bert Grant... (sob)

A "harsher" one is the Rogue's XS RIS in the ceramic bottle.

My $0.02

Eric

I sure miss the guy too. Now that I am brewing beer, I find myself trying to figure out how to clone his recipes since you can't get them anymore, let along since I live so far away from there now.

Bert Grants Perfect Porter was simply that, I am a big porter fan, especially in the winter and I have not found a better one yet.

Here is a call out to anyone who has had Bert Grants Perfect Porter, do you know of any other porter that comes close?

Back