strong sulphur smell in kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi, i just kegged a mosaic smash using wlp051, i left it in he primary for 16days cold crashed for 2 then kegged. Its a nice tasting beer but has a strong sulphur aroma. Is there any way to get rid of most of the sulphur? cheers

I had a dunkelweizen last year that I had to dump due to a super strong sulfur smell. I had read somewhere that mixing the beer with a bit of copper pipe would take the sulfur away and it actually did in the glasses that I tried. It might of worked for the keg but I just dumped the batch in the end.

I had a dunkelweizen last year that I had to dump due to a super strong sulfur smell. I had read somewhere that mixing the beer with a bit of copper pipe would take the sulfur away and it actually did in the glasses that I tried. It might of worked for the keg but I just dumped the batch in the end.
Mine is a more moderate sulphur smell,i just saw a you tube vid of a guy hooking up the gas and beergun then turning the keg upside down then venting it? i might give it a go first

While I certainly understand wanting to save the beer, have you considered why you brewed a beer with this issue? Root cause to prevent future occurrences so to speak.

My stouts often start out with that sulfur smell. Ambers do to but to a lesser degree. After a week or two it’s gone. (The smell, not the beer.) If it’s really strong I turn off the gas@ and purge the tank 2 x a day for 2 or 3 days. That seems to help speed things up a bit.

Just give it time, it will mellow out.

While I certainly understand wanting to save the beer, have you considered why you brewed a beer with this issue? Root cause to prevent future occurrences so to speak.
just experimenting with a different yeast, all my other pale ales have been with wlp001

My stouts often start out with that sulfur smell. Ambers do to but to a lesser degree. After a week or two it’s gone. (The smell, not the beer.) If it’s really strong I turn off the gas@ and purge the tank 2 x a day for 2 or 3 days. That seems to help speed things up a bit.

Just give it time, it will mellow out.
I took the keg out of the fridge and purged it about 5 times, now the smell has almost gone!

Some yeasts are just sulphury, but WLP051 is not, AFAIK.
WhiteLabs said:
Typically leaves some residual, lager-like sulfur compounds in finished beer.

Recent sequencing studies show that WLP051 belongs to Saccharomyces pastorianus species, the same hybrid species as most lager strains. However, this strain has been used to make ales for decades and was previously categorized as belonging to Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Underpitching, fermentation being too cold without ramping up for conditioning, or generally stressed yeast are viable causes.

Some yeasts are just sulphury, but WLP051 is not, AFAIK.

Underpitching, fermentation being too cold without ramping up for conditioning, or generally stressed yeast are viable causes.
Thanks IslandLizard, i over pitched slightly, fermented at 18C but it was to cold to ramp up the temp beyond19C

Stiring with a copper pipe actually works but, a friend's of mine tried it with his sulfur bomb of a beer.

I only had sulfur when underpitching, but some yeasts tend to throw off sulfur more easily than others (yeah, looking at you, German lager yeasts!!).

Back