Strong smell when first opened after fermentaion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwaite47

Reaction score
My brew partner and I brewed a extract witbeir. Boil went well. Fermented for two weeks at 68* with included coriander and orange peel packet. When we opened up the fermenter there was a very strong alcohol smell that burnt the nostrils. After about 5 minutes the smell went away so we bottled it any way. Is our brew ruined or should everything be fine?

The burning of the nostrils is what happens when you take a whiff of the carbon dioxide that's sitting in the fermenter. It's a fermentation by-product and is heavier than air, which is why it was present when you opened things up.

Taste is the only way to judge whether a beer is good or not.

You're probably fine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as that was probably just the CO2 "blanket" sitting on top of the brew that you took a big snort of. Yeah, it smarts a bit if you're not prepared for it. :mug:

Thanks guys for the quick and informative response. I will be at ease for the next two weeks. Thanks

Back