Strong Cider Smell

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pwd

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been making beer from pre-made all grain wort and canned malt extract kits for about two years. My most recent batch has me worried, I made a an extract batch with two cans instead of one to avoid using sugars. I've done this before with success so I know its not this.

The problem is, I just checked on my primary fermenter and was greeted with a pungent cider-like smell. I have come to the conclusion that I added my dry yeast when the wort was too warm, contributing to most of the cider smell. What I would like to know: is there a way to `repair`this batch.

I was thinking of buying a 500g bag of dried malt extract and another packet of dry yeast to perhaps take away from the cider-ish smell and let it sit in a secondary fermenter for a couple weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

**Can a mod please fix the title to: Strong Cider Smell

brewit2it

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been making beer from pre-made all grain wort and canned malt extract kits for about two years. My most recent batch has me worried, I made a an extract batch with two cans instead of one to avoid using sugars. I've done this before with success so I know its not this.

The problem is, I just checked on my primary fermenter and was greeted with a pungent cider-like smell. I have come to the conclusion that I added my dry yeast when the wort was too warm, contributing to most of the cider smell. What I would like to know: is there a way to `repair`this batch.

I was thinking of buying a 500g bag of dried malt extract and another packet of dry yeast to perhaps take away from the cider-ish smell and let it sit in a secondary fermenter for a couple weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

**Can a mod please fix the title to: Strong Cider Smell
If it is fermenting now at the correct temp and shows good signs of active fermentation just leave it alone, resist sniffing the airlock (it can be addicting and could potentially cause blindness or hairy palms) and RDWHAHB.

OP
P

pwd

Reaction score
Its been 3 days since I`ve added the yeast and the foam has settled down and is basically flat now. No airlock on this primary container, just a 46L plastic bucket with a plastic sheet and a lid on it; I`ve been using this method for a year with no issues.

brewit2it

Reaction score
Its been 3 days since I`ve added the yeast and the foam has settled down and is basically flat now. No airlock on this primary container, just a 46L plastic bucket with a plastic sheet and a lid on it; I`ve been using this method for a year with no issues.
Did you happen to check an OG? Even if you didn't you could check a reading now and see if it is getting close to what you expect as a FG. You can alway pitch a pack of dry yeast, Notty for instance, if you are worried. I'm assuming you are making an ale (not sure why I'm assuming that, I guess because I like ale LOL).

OP
P

pwd

Reaction score
Did you happen to check an OG? Even if you didn't you could check a reading now and see if it is getting close to what you expect as a FG. You can alway pitch a pack of dry yeast, Notty for instance, if you are worried. I'm assuming you are making an ale (not sure why I'm assuming that, I guess because I like ale LOL).
To be honest I have never checked the gravity levels on any of my brews, is this a critical mistake? I figured I could get by without buying a hydrometer. The batch I am making is a Morgan's Draught Style Lager. I prefer ales too, but I thought I'd give this one a whirl. Thanks for the replies.

Cidery flavors are often the result of old extract. Did you check the dates on them?
Actually they were expired by about 12 days ... would that really make much of a difference? Maybe I shouldn't have bought them just because they were on sale/either that or use the kits as soon as possible.

Latest posts