Strong and dark IPA... is this going to be drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dockmasterjc

Reaction score
This is kind of what I had planned.
6# amber DME
2#Caraamber
2#Pale 2row Barley
2#Corn Sugar

I have a ton of cascade that I just dried and was thinking about Norther brewer for bittering. I would use my homegrown hops for aroma and dry hopping. Is this going to taste like Sh%t?:drunk:

I would say that's a IIPA for sure you've got a TON of gravity in there.
So far as taste I've never brewed with Caraamber but if it's anything like the other cara-XYZ two pounds sounds like an awful lot. Going to be like drinking a loaf of bread.

I wouldn't switch all of it. Maybe 1.5# crystal X (whatever you decide) and 0.5# caraamber.

Are you planning on using Cascade exclusively? Because you'll need an awful lot to balance out that high of a gravity.

Anyone have any other suggestions? More corn sugar or hops? I don't want to drink a loaf of bread like weirdboy suggested.

The biggest problem with IIPAs is by the time the beer has aged enough to take the alcohol-burn off, the hop aroma is fading. If you ditched the corn sugar, it would taste better sooner.

This is my first attempt at brewing w/o a kit. It is an extract brew with the grains being steeped. I haven't thought about partial mash. Is it easy, or do I need to expand my setup?

The biggest problem with IIPAs is by the time the beer has aged enough to take the alcohol-burn off, the hop aroma is fading. If you ditched the corn sugar, it would taste better sooner.

I was thinking that too, but if you would do a 3-4 month primary and then dry hop after that, it may work out.

The Christmas beer I have going should be in this scenario, but I don't know if I will have the patience. I think I need to taste this one and immediately brew another with changes to get ready for next Christmas or even the following one.

I was reading the list of brews brought out of the cellar at bottleworks in seattle and they have a 2007 Jolly Roger they are selling now.

I ended up doing a partial mash thanks to deathbrewer. It seems to be doing well and my gravity hit 1.084. Has been fermenting now for about a week in the primary.:ban:

I tried to let this one sit, but it was so good I couldn't resist. It tastes great with a hop taste that of dogfish style with a great mouthfeel. I will be entering my first competition and this one is my first ever entry. It does not taste like a loaf of bread and it has good malt to hop taste! Thanks for your opinions:tank:

Back