Strong Alcohol Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catamount

Reaction score
Hello,
Just popped off the lid of my primary fermenter after 6 days, and I have a very strong alcohol smell. I have done some reading and found that sometimes this happens when the yeast is pitched at high temperatures, however, I pitched at the suggested temp (76F). Any thoughts or comments?

Hello,
Just popped off the lid of my primary fermenter after 6 days, and I have a very strong alcohol smell. I have done some reading and found that sometimes this happens when the yeast is pitched at high temperatures, however, I pitched at the suggested temp (76F). Any thoughts or comments?

76F is pretty hot, and if fermentation kicked off, it might have even got warmer during fermentation. Do you have a thermometer strip on the outside of the fermenter? That's a good way to check. What yeast did you use? Some yeast strains do fine at hotter temperatures.

thanks for your response. I feel like I am way more cautious now than in the past about my process, but this has happened the past 2 out of 3 times.

I do believe that 72-74 is on the hot side.....Most people here seem to advise temps in the low to mid 60's....of course it depends on what you're brewing, but I believe that the early stage of fermentation is the most important to keep the temp under control, as that is when a lot of the fusel (hot) alcohols, diacetyl, and esters are created. That said, I am a noob with only 9-10 batches under my belt over the last few months, though I'm officially thoroughly obsessed with pursuing perfection in brewing.

This is a stout btw, a recipe I made up which has been good in the past.

I'm guessing that the "hotness" will fade a bit, but next time try to ferment in the low to mid 60s if you can, and I think you'll notice a bit improvement. Temperature contol is the one best thing I've done to make better beers.

The one best thing I have done to improve my beers is to not judge them until they been in the bottle for 4-6 weeks after fermenting for 4-6 weeks.

Any earlier than that and any off flavors or others concerns are meaningless. IMO, to try to diagnose a beer that has been in the primary for 6 days is absurd.

Thanks for the replies.
dontman: That's understandable, I am just asking because the last time it smelled like this, it remained for about two months (until the keg was kicked).

I'm new to this forum and to this obsession. That said I too have a strong smell of alcohol and a reading of 1.022 after 8 days in the primary, my O.G was 1.060. I'm brewing a stout and used Wyeast #1084 wort temp when pitched was 70. I think I'm going to let it got for another week in primary, any thought's?

Thanks

I brew a lot of big beers (OG>1.060) and a lot of Belgian beers that ferment at warm temps. It is par for the course for these beers to have a hot alcohol smell and flavor for quite a while. I don't even taste a stout until it has been in bottle for 6 weeks.

dontman: Thanks. I live over the bridge in south jersey. Where do you get your supplies? Home Sweet Homebrew?

Mostly online. Locally I go to Brew Your Own in Havertown (waaay too expensive) and HSHB downtown (inconvenient during business hours.)

Back