Strong alcohol odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer

Reaction score
I just racked my double IPA to a secondary this evening after about 19 days. The is only my second brew. It had a really strong alcohol odor, but also a bit of stale beer smell. I did take a small taste... strong alcohol taste, not much notable taste otherwise. I didn't really get much hop flavor or smell.
Does a heavy beer need a long conditioning time to mellow out, and bring out the hop flavors? I still have to dry hop before bottling, so i would imagine that would give the batch some flavor and arroma.
My starting gravity was lower than called for... about 1.067, and my final gravity was around 1.013. that should put me somewhere around 7%. The recipe calls for 3 months completion. BTW, i brewed northern brewers IIPA.
Do you think my IIPA will turn out with some character?
Also, my primary was very slow and active for about 13 days!

Thanks for the advice :mug:

Your fermentation temp might have been a bit on the high side, but give it 2 weeks in the secondary and then another 3 in bottles or a keg. Should be more palatable, especially when chilled and carb'd.

I agree with chillhayze, high fermentation temp. I've had that problem brewing big stuff in warmer weather. I moved my primarys to the basement, problem solved.

FireBrewer said:
How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter? Sounds like you may have some fusel alcohol. Go to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and compare what you pitched. With higher OGs you need even more yeast and oxygen, whether air or pure.

Well, i am not sure what to think. I started the fermentation upstairs, and noticed the next day that it was at 73 degrees, so i did move it to the basement. It stayed at a constant 68 degrees the entire time.

As for the starter, i did use a starter. I used wyeast smackpak, let the pak expand for about 2 days, then pitched it into 3/4 cup of LME. I pitched it into the brew two days later. So, i don't think i messed anything up there. Hopefully it mellows out after a while in the secondary. I guess i have to wait and see.

thanks

I posted the same "problem"with my IPA after two weeks in the bottle. It had an extreme alcolol aftertaste that was not good. I brewed this batch in March so there was no temp. problems. It has now been 6 weeks since bottling and the alcohol aftertaste is just about gone. I can't give you a lot of advice since this IPA was just my second brew except to be patient. Mine is just starting to taste darn good.

PAbrewer said:
Hopefully it mellows out after a while in the secondary. I guess i have to wait and see.

Fusel alcohol takes a long time to "condition out", but it's still worth a shot. Watch your temps (remember, once fermentation starts the mass of the wort is actually a few degrees warmer) and pitch lots of yeast, you'll be golden. :mug:

Back