strir plate/magnet ?.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunken clown

Reaction score
i have nearly completed a stir plate for my yeast starters, and just to stir water and marvel over the simple creation! i am still waiting for the stir bar to come in the mail! the ? is...on the computer fan i am going glue my magnet on... should i just glue one magnet directly in the middle or glue two magnets about an inch or so apart from each other (still in the fan's center, not the blades of course)! they are rare earth magnets, so they have alot of pull! any ideas would be apreciated! thanx!

drunken clown said:
i have nearly completed a stir plate for my yeast starters, and just to stir water and marvel over the simple creation! i am still waiting for the stir bar to come in the mail! the ? is...on the computer fan i am going glue my magnet on... should i just glue one magnet directly in the middle or glue two magnets about an inch or so apart from each other (still in the fan's center, not the blades of course)! they are rare earth magnets, so they have alot of pull! any ideas would be apreciated! thanx!

Put two magnets on the outer part of the hub across from each other. Make sure you have them with a polar opposite orientation when you glue them down. I used JB Weld with good results (use a toothpick cut to length to keep them spread apart while the JB Weld dries, remove toothpick once dry).

Good luck; it's a fun project.

This may be a silly queston... but why opposite poles?? isn't the whole stir bar the same?? therefore you would want either both pos or both neg (whatever one attracts the stir bar) facing up so it spins it properly?

SpamDog

well before i glued them down i tested them in all the ways i could think of, so i could get it right. the first magnet i glued down was easy, but the 2nd one....ha ha... the 2nd one was a pain in the ass! but with a little patince, and a third hand i got it! dont know much about poles but it spins like a top!

Latest posts

Back