Stringy things in my latest brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethalfrida

Reaction score
Hi group.
I just brewed a rose petal wine and was about to rack it when I saw a couple of green stringy things in it. Are they mold threads or what? Do you think I should toss it. It is only a gallon. There were no mold layers floating on top. Just these stringy things. And there was very little yeast residue at the bottom of the jug. What should I do?

Thank you so much for asking.
There are just a few of the string things. Maybe about 6 or so.
I took one out, laid it on a white paper towel. It pulls apart easily and is actuall kind of greenish.

Hi group.
I just brewed a rose petal wine and was about to rack it when I saw a couple of green stringy things in it. Are they mold threads or what? Do you think I should toss it. It is only a gallon. There were no mold layers floating on top. Just these stringy things. And there was very little yeast residue at the bottom of the jug. What should I do?

it is difficut to say with out a picture. Did you use real rose petals? I asked bc some wines can be scented later on with a scented syrup.
i hade made a blueberry lavender one with real lavender and had so small stringy stuff, and it was just fiber of the of lavender, i racked it but making sure the siphon was in the middle and watched it as it siphoned and stopped it as soon as i saw the top most layer get close. Basically i siphoned out the middle leaving the sediment layer and top most layer behind. my lavender blueberry wine ended up great.

it is difficut to say with out a picture. Did you use real rose petals? I asked bc some wines can be scented later on with a scented syrup.
i hade made a blueberry lavender one with real lavender and had so small stringy stuff, and it was just fiber of the of lavender, i racked it but making sure the siphon was in the middle and watched it as it siphoned and stopped it as soon as i saw the top most layer get close. Basically i siphoned out the middle leaving the sediment layer and top most layer behind. my lavender blueberry wine ended up great.

I appreciate your post on my question.
Yes, I used real petals taken from my rose bush which has never had chemicals on it. They were all in perfect form and clean.
I was thinking it may be as you said with your lavender. So I may just rack as you did. I just don't want to have anything serious on my hands. I guess a lable to mark it will help.
I love the idea of lavender wine and may try that one soon.
Thank you very much...

Never made a rose petal wine but I wouldn't worry either, and would just avoid transferring the stringy things to the secondary.

All the talk about rose wine, .i forgot I made a strawberry rose wine inmate style several,years ago that i had bottled in recycled beer bottles. .there was one left in my brewing dugeon. .the bottle had slight sediment, but i made this inmate style so thats sort of expected, anyway i just pour it into another glass and left the sediment behind, the wine is great! snd still has rose scent. I had enouh for one glass of straignt strawberry rose wine and the other a modified spritzer (diet clear cherry soda and the wine and ice, its 98F here so ice goes well). im in my dungeon and i dont have a fancy camera but here are pictures

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

Back