Strike Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read on a thread somewhere that different brews would require different strike temps.

Where would one find out what style strike temps are?

You adjust the strike temp for different mash temps. I think most people go ~12 degrees above the target mash temp. It also partially depends on how much grain you are using, but I don't remember exactly how it affects it. There are plenty of strike temp calculators you can use (I have a Brew Calculator app on my phone that I use)

You adjust the strike temp for different mash temps. I think most people go ~12 degrees above the target mash temp. It also partially depends on how much grain you are using, but I don't remember exactly how it affects it. There are plenty of strike temp calculators you can use (I have a Brew Calculator app on my phone that I use)

OOPS, let me adjust the question. Are there different MASH temps for different styles of beer? If so where does one find them?

Mash temps should be decided by the body you want in your beer. 149F will give you a very fermentable wort. 158F will give you a wort rich in long chain sugars which aren't as fermentable, so you will get less attenuation. Most beers fall somewhere in the middle. 152-154 is common.

There are also step mashes which have multiple rests at different temps, but more than likely you don't need them unless you are using a lot of adjuncts.

Keep in kind that mash temps are only part of what determines attenuation. Yeast strains, pitching rates, and fermentation temps are also important.

This is an excellent question IMO, particularly when one wants to start trying their own recipes. I don't know the answer but somebody out there surely must. If certain beers are known for a drier finish etc, it seems like there should be a conversion chart that would at least ballpark the proper temp for a given style. Although many might do well in the middle, certain beers should do better toward the lower end or the upper end of the typical mash range. I tried to find a one stop shop resource but came up unsuccesful.

Subscribing to thread.

It's just as jeffjm replied. If you want a drier finish you would mash at a lower temp, and for a sweeter tasting beer mash at a higher temp. Since a majority of beer styles are medium bodied and require some residual sweetness, a mash temp of 154° F is ideal.

It could also be a matter of preference. Some people prefer an IPA with a nice dry finish that allows hop character to prevail while others like a sweeter, maltier IPA that balances with hops.

I understand the philosophy for dry vs. sweet and how to acquire but I don't know the typical taste profile for all beers. Heck when I look at all the beer types in Beersmith, there are several I know I've never even seen let alone tried. So it seems like somewhere over the course of time, someone would have created a chart or guidelines for mash temps on the many different styles of beer.

Sure, each brewer might want to tweak things to their liking but in doing so, they might be deviating from the typical style of that beer. So if we can agree that there are known styles, then it shouldn't be a stretch to expect we'd use certain yeasts for that style...which we do...and I don't think it's a stretch to believe we'd use a certain mash temp for that style. But where to find it, that is the question. :D

Sorry OP if I'm jumping too hard on your thread. I've thought about this in the past also, but just never asked the question.

Mash temperature is just one of the tools that can be used to change the body/character of a beer. Other things are important also- ingredients, yeast strain, etc.

A mash temp of under 150 is great for thin dry crisp beers- cream ale, light lagers, a Belgian triple, etc. A mash temp of 158 is great for a big chewy oatmeal stout. Many of my beers split the difference- I generally mash most of my beers at 153. Not just because of the qualities of that temperature, but I tend to overattenuate a bit anyway with my system even with using crystal malts.

Mash temperatures are important, but so are those other factors. If you're using a well-attenuating ale yeast, you could plan on having a lower FG than if you're using a notoriously poor attenuator (say, pacman yeast vs Windsor yeast). All of those other factors should be taken into consideration when planning mash temps.

When starting out, it's good to look at other recipes of the same style to get an idea of desired FG and body.

Usually the BJCP Tyle guidelines will give a good indication of what temps to target. However, as Yooper said, there are other things that can also affect the body and maltiness of a beer, including yeast type. But mash temp does play a major role.

The BJCP style guidelines are a great read anyway. I suggest looking through them and seeing what they say. They may not give an exact temperature, but they may give an indication of whether the beer is supposed to be dry, sweet (malty) or balanced. If there is a particular style you want to brew, google recipes for that style and note the strike temps.

It's hard to give an exact temperature because there can be variations in equipment and method that also affect your finished beer. After a few batches you can start to dial in any adjustments you may need.

Mash temperature is just one of the tools that can be used to change the body/character of a beer. Other things are important also- ingredients, yeast strain, etc.

A mash temp of under 150 is great for thin dry crisp beers- cream ale, light lagers, a Belgian triple, etc. A mash temp of 158 is great for a big chewy oatmeal stout. Many of my beers split the difference- I generally mash most of my beers at 153. Not just because of the qualities of that temperature, but I tend to overattenuate a bit anyway with my system even with using crystal malts.

Mash temperatures are important, but so are those other factors. If you're using a well-attenuating ale yeast, you could plan on having a lower FG than if you're using a notoriously poor attenuator (say, pacman yeast vs Windsor yeast). All of those other factors should be taken into consideration when planning mash temps.

When starting out, it's good to look at other recipes of the same style to get an idea of desired FG and body.

Many thanks Yooper!

Back