Stressing safbrew 06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
Am brewing a wheat beer and plan on pitching fermentis safbrew 06. I plan on trying to stress it to get optimum esters etc. in my brewery I have a temp between 65 to 75 degrees this time of year. If I pitch at 65 and just let it fluctuate with the ambient temp would that be ok? Or is the temp range too great? Am I inviting lots of fusel alcohols? Should I just under pitch and keep a steady temp?
Thanks.

When I want to increase production of esters, I will generally underpitch and ferment at the top end of the recommended temperatures. However, this varies for some yeasts and I'm unfamiliar with S06.

i love wb-06 and the flavor you get from it. fusels hit at around 71 or so, though. a solid 68 is good for it. higher=banana, lower=clover. 65= a good balance

Am brewing a wheat beer and plan on pitching fermentis safbrew 06. I plan on trying to stress it to get optimum esters etc. in my brewery I have a temp between 65 to 75 degrees this time of year. If I pitch at 65 and just let it fluctuate with the ambient temp would that be ok? Or is the temp range too great? Am I inviting lots of fusel alcohols? Should I just under pitch and keep a steady temp?
Thanks.

10 degrees is a bit of a swing in temps. I would put it in a tub with 65ish water just to help lessen the fluctuation. From what I have read, fluctuation is often your biggest enemy.

Thanks for the replies. I do have temp control, so maybe I'll split the batch and see what happens at steady a 71 vs fluctuating.

Well, I chickened out. My garage is hitting >80 deg and I would rather have nice drinkable beer than experiment with the yeast. So, it is all going in the freezer at 68. Sorry, no experiments today.

Back