Stressed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used a yeast I got from a local brewery last year (their 007 a few gens old) and I've used it a number of times making larger starters and keeping a pint to use on other beers. The batch I grabbed from this time was a fresh starter using one of the gens I had from a month or so ago.
I've got a semi alcohol taste that doesn't have any heat like fusels do but at 7%, I doubt it's from the alcohol amount.
I think it will be drinkable at colder temps and I will be adding coconut in the keg after it carbs a bit (I decided to naturally carb the keg).
So, can older yeast that might have gone past 5 or so generations cause an off flavor like alcohol?

At 5 generations under good conditions I would guess "no". If your picking up some spoilage microorganisms or your yeast are just getting generally unhealthy then those are things that could cause issues.

I'm guessing your using plenty of yeast nutrient and 02? Stir plate?

Back