Strawberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red1992v6rs

Reaction score
I’m in the process of making strawberry wine from a Vintners Harvest kit. Life got away from me and I forgot where I left in the recipe. I remove the strawberries and transferred it back in April. I’m not sure if it’s been sitting on the yeast since then. Should I transfer it again into another bucket and let it sit for another couple months before bottling? Should I proceed with adding gelatin and sweeten/ add flavor now? Any advise is appreciated.

I made a strawberry wine maybe 18 months ago...it was a recipe from a book on Amazon. Made from fresh fruit. Turned out pretty well but peaked at 3-6 months due to the amount of sulfite and tannins the recipe called for.
I remember it took many rackings to clear. I actually bought a wine specific clarifying agent, but ended up not needing it. The yeast I used was maybe rc-212...I'm not a great note taker... I just remember if I liked a recipe or not...if I liked it I stop changing it...if I didn't like it I only change the worst offense at a time. 😁

oh and fyi, I kept thinking I'd want it sweet or semi sweet...but i left both the strawberry and raspberry wine dry and they were fabulous...I stabilized per recipe directions using a BSG Wine stabilizer (potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate).
Now that primary fermentation is done you should use a vessel with as little head space as possible (read: smallest surface area of liquid exposed to air)...so a carboy you can fill to the neck is ideal.
The incremental additions of sulfite will bind to oxygen and render the oxygen ineffective to reduce your flavor compounds. The sulfites are only "available" for a limited time based on oxygen ingress rate, so you'll need to research how much sulfite to add and how often.
I think I had my strawberry wine finish primary in a week or two then aged it for 2-3 months prior to bottling. I aged it in the bottle for a minimum of 2 months before trying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back