Strawberry Wheat, Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BlauMaus

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently had a very successful brewing experience with this Strawberry Wheat recipe. I had used an extract only kit for American Wheat from MoreBeer, just to experiment with using frozen strawberries from last year's crop. Turned out very well, my family and friends absolutely love it.

It is a very interesting balance of flavors, is refreshing, and easy drinking. I prefer a bit more head retention and mouthfeel, so I've modified the recipe to include a steeping grain, and I'm using fresh strawberries (from this year's yeild). I think that will put it exactly where it needs to be.

It's easy enough to make, and I wanted to share. This was probably the fifth beer I brewed, so if you're a beginner, fear nothing. Also, as I said, this can be done without the steeping grain, it's just a personal preference of mine.

Strawberry Wheat II

3 lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
2 lbs Light DME
1 lb American Pale Malt (steeping)
.5 oz Cascade Hops
1 oz Cascade Hops
Safale US-05

Steep the American Pale Malt until water reaches 170 degrees F, then remove and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, remove your brewing pot from the burner and add the malt extracts. Return to the burner and bring to a boil. Add .5oz Cascade and boil for 60 minutes, adding the remaining 1 oz Cascade at the last minute. I throw my hops in loose, this is gonna be a cloudy beer anyway.

Now cool the beer down and pitch your yeast. When the beer is done fermenting (use your hydrometer), it's time to get the strawberries ready. Take four pounds of fresh or frozen strawberries, add a bit of water, and put them in a pot and bring to a simmer. I find that the best flavor is in strawberries you pick yourself. You know that they were picked ripe. You're going to want to mash them up, with a fork or potato masher or whatever works for you, once they're soft. I let them simmer for about fifteen minutes. Add to your secondary via funnel after they cool to a reasonable temperature. Rack your beer. You may see some airlock activity in the secondary, that's likely the remaining yeast going at the strawberries. Wait at least a week before bottling.

I got a OG of 1.042 and FG of 1.006. About 4.7 ABV. Enjoy! :mug: