Strawberry wheat (extract) help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Been a few months since I had time to brew, and need a good summer beer.

Planning a strawberry wheat

5lbs Dry wheat extract
1lb flaked wheat
1oz HallerHersbruck
Safale WB-06

my question is how much fresh picked strawberry (sliced frozen and thawed to break cells)
been a LONG time since I did a fruit beer, I want a strong strawberry flavor in this wheat and I only want to use local strawberries.

years ago I used 4lbs of raspberry in final steep and poured berries into fermenter. got a great raspberry flavor.

was thinking 5lbs of strawberry... Thoughts?

thanks in advance:mug:

From everything I have read it takes loads of strawberries to get a good strawberry flavor into a beer (2-3 lbs per gallon sounds like the low end). That said, I haven’t tried using them for myself (but think about how few strawberry beers are out there compared to cherry/raspberry).

Your recipe looks life, but I would drop the flaked wheat, without mashing with a base malt it will just give you a bunch of starch in your beer.

Good luck, at worst you will just have a lightly fruity beer.

thanks oldsock.

that gives me a good starting point. going to pick my strawberries this weekend. I'll shoot for 10lbs. will probably steep 1st 5lbs in wort at end of boil for 15min and add berries to primary, then add an additional 5lbs to secondary for about a week and bottle. I think that should do the trick.

As for the flaked wheat I meant to put a 1/4 lb not 1lb.

Latest posts

Back