Fruit Beer Strawberry Shortcake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy84

Reaction score
Here is a brew I came up with as somewhat of an easy drinking/ desert beer.

6lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup
1lb Wheat DME
8oz Carafoam
1oz Lactose
4lbs Chopped Strawberries
Nottingham Yeast

1oz Williamette @ 60 min
1oz Williamette @ 20 min
1oz Williamette @ 5 min

Brewed @ fermentor temp of 60 degrees
Strawberries soaked in one step, frozen and added after primary ferm was done, approx 5 days.
OG- 1.056
FG- 1.011
ABV- 5%ish
IBU's- 44 according to Brew Target
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402272603.483773.jpg

The taste from the strawberries is very forward and much more tart than I thought it would be. The head on this thing lasts forever. The color is a lot more red than the picture shows.

Could u please elaborate on this beer some more. What temperature did you steep the grain and for how long? And how long did u soak the strawberries first? And also how many total gal did this batch make?

I've made this a couple times with some slight differences. The second batch I liked a lot more.

In it I dropped the lactose as I really only had it in the first one as a novelty. Second , I used a liquid kolsch yeast instead of notty and that was much better IMO.

This is a 5 gal batch. As for the strawberries, I did a good cleaning and then let them sit in a sink full of one step for about 10 min. Then I cut them up and froze them. I started with 6lbs of strawberries and ended up with 4lbs chopped and frozen.

A friend of mine just bought pre chopped and frozen strawberries and there wasn't much difference in the flavor of them. I was intent on using local produce but he saved himself about an hour or two of work so if it doesn't matter where they come from, that is another method.

ETA: 20 min @ 150 degrees for the steep

Back