Fruit Beer Strawberry Rhubarb American Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

major.noms

Wrestling with Booze.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Munich yeast (dry)
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65'F (ramp to 68'F)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65'F
Tasting Notes
Strawberry & Rhubarb Pie!
40% Briess White Wheat Malt
50% Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
5% Briess Victory Malt
5% Rice Hulls (although no gravity achieved from hulls)

Mashed @ 154'F for 60 min; raised to 168'f to stop conversion; collected wort in kettle and began boil.

.50 oz Belma @ 60 minutes (17.2 ibu)
.50 oz Belma @ Whirlpool/Flameout for 10 minutes (3.1 ibu)

I love this hop so much. First tried in a SMaSH with Maris Otter and it came out wonderfully; tons of strawberry, melon and peach from this hop. I was super excited to try this in this beer!

Danstar Munich Dry yeast (activated, per typical guideline by adding to approximately 8 oz of warm water, proofed for 15 minutes; Unnecessary, but I like to be through)

2 lb of Rhubarb (preparation below)
6 lb of Strawberries (preparation below)

Rhubarb: rather than brew with it, I simmered chopped up rhubarb in just enough water to make them float, along with a cinnamon stick. After about 20 minutes the "stew" showed that the rhubarb solids had lost most of their color. The liquid was a bright pink, like florescent pink lemonade. I strained the solids out using a hop bag and added about 20-ish oz. to the keg (thanks to the users at Probrewer for that tip).

Strawberry: macerated, frozen and thaw. Racked onto the strawberries and let age for 21 days. Pretty simple.

Fermentation notes: 1 week, started at 65'F and let it rise slowly to 68'F to try to let some esters also come into play. I'm not sure I pick any banana, clove or spice up, but it fermented out pretty nice. Added strawberries to secondary fermenter and racked wheat beer onto them, adding a bit of pectin enzyme to the fermenter as well (a moot point, because wheat beer, but... see the note about me being through). Let sit for 21 days at roughly 65'F, with no real difference in temp. Racked into original fermenter to help clear it up just a touch more.

Kegged the beer at about a month in (grain to keg), force carbing at 12.5 PSI for roughly 8 days @ 45'F.

Tasting notes -
Aroma: Straight up strawberries; light toast and graininess. I'm not sure if it's just the Belma hops or the 6 lb of strawberries, but this beer smells like sticking your head in chopped up strawberries (coated with sugar). Faint smell of rhubarb, but easily missed.

Appearance: Opaque pink with half inch head that dissipates quickly.

Flavor: Man, oh man, this beer came out way better than expected. Toasted graininess plays a backseat to the intense strawberry present in this beer; lightly tart and effervescent (carbed at maybe 2.6 vol), this beer nailed the marks for me.

Overall: One of the best fruit based beers I've made.

I am new to all grains (I did one with help) what is the total grain amount? If I understand it correctly if you had 10 lbs 4 of it will be Briess White Wheat Malt, and 5lbs would be Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row, but I don;t see what your total grain bill is, am I missing something or what

Another question I have is the Strawberries, you say "Strawberry: macerated, frozen and thaw." Can I just use frozen strawberries or what did you do to macerated them thanks for your help I would LOVE to try and make this so I can drink it.

I am new to all grains (I did one with help) what is the total grain amount? If I understand it correctly if you had 10 lbs 4 of it will be Briess White Wheat Malt, and 5lbs would be Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row, but I don;t see what your total grain bill is, am I missing something or what

I use percentages as my identifiers for my grain bill, I see it as a more accurate estimation and allows me to adjust on the fly; if you were to use 10# of grain, it would be 5# 2 row, 4# white wheat, 1/2# of rice hulls and 1/2# victory malts!

Another question I have is the Strawberries, you say "Strawberry: macerated, frozen and thaw." Can I just use frozen strawberries or what did you do to macerated them thanks for your help I would LOVE to try and make this so I can drink it.

You can just use frozen strawberries, but the quality of the beer will match the quality of the ingredients place in it! To macerate them, I simply removed each top, chopped in quarters, added a touch of lemon juice and like a tablespoon of sugar over them. Bagged them up, vacuum sealed them and popped them in the freezer. The day before I went to transfer, I placed them in the fridge to thaw out :)

I made this several weeks ago and was pretty excited to taste it. Overall, it's pretty darn good, but I notice an oil like aftertaste. I thought that maybe it was the rhubarb, but I kept a gallon separate from the keg without any rhubarb and it tastes the same. I used frozen strawberries.

Any thoughts where the odd taste might be coming from? It's almost like kerosene or diesel fuel. Weird stuff.

I made this several weeks ago and was pretty excited to taste it. Overall, it's pretty darn good, but I notice an oil like aftertaste. I thought that maybe it was the rhubarb, but I kept a gallon separate from the keg without any rhubarb and it tastes the same. I used frozen strawberries.

Any thoughts where the odd taste might be coming from? It's almost like kerosene or diesel fuel. Weird stuff.

Sounds like fusel alcohol. From "How to Brew":

When an alcohol taste detracts from a beer's flavor it can usually be traced to one of two causes. The first problem is often too high a fermentation temperature. At temperatures above 80°F, yeast can produce too much of the higher weight fusel alcohols which have lower taste thresholds than ethanol. These alcohols taste harsh to the tongue, not as bad as cheap tequila, but bad nonetheless.

Fusel alcohols can be produced by excessive amounts of yeast, or when the yeast sits too long on the trub. This is one reason to move the beer off of the hot and cold break when the beer is going to be spending a lot of time in the fermentor.​

Hope this helps.

Trying this out this weekend. Last time I attempted a fruit it it turned out bad, i seemed watered down due to the fruit.

ill buy fresh berries and freeze them. Any thing i need to be aware of when adding the fruit?

I brewed this last month and just popped the first bottle a couple days ago - I made an account to post a Thank You for the recipe and to share my results!

I basically followed the recipe as written, variations are as follows:
- My mash temperature dropped a bit faster than I was expecting
- Macerated and froze both the strawberries and rhubarb, then placed all of it into a carboy and racked on top after 10 days in primary. Let age on top of the fruit for 2 weeks.
- Fermented slightly below room temperature for the entire duration
- Bottled with corn sugar and allowed to naturally carbonate

Review:
The colour is a bit off-putting, not quite as pink as I hoped. Nice amount of head that dissipates quickly. Smells just like a bucket of sweet strawberries. Taste is fantastic, reminds me of a strawberry-rhubarb pie. Definitely stronger on the strawberry, the rhubarb flavour comes in very subtly. Next time I brew this I may add a bit more rhubarb. I think the grain choice here is perfect to balance out the tartness of the fruit. Well done and thanks for the recipe!

I use 22oz rhubarb and 15oz strawberries in a 2G batch, or a 60/40 ish ratio of rhubarb to strawberry and get a great rhubarb taste and a lot of strawberry aroma. You can taste the strawberries too, but the rhubarb is stronger, although the beer is not overly tart. Really wonderful flavor. But I also love rhubarb.

This turned out much better than I had hoped. I kegged It about two months ago and it has finally reached its peak flavor after that time. It has been great and will brew again

Back