Strawberry mead(melomel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim8083

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I've just finished bottling my first batch of mead was lovely and nice and strong! The only trouble was it was still and dry nothing wrong with that at all but my next brew I want to make fizzy/sparkling. I plan to make a Strawberry melomel my questions are do I use a champagne yeast?and are grolsch bottles ok to use I live in a flat so don't want the risk of bottle bombs? Thank you for any help that you can give

Welcome to HBT!

Grolsch bottles should work fine. As for yeast Champagne yeast is not necessary unless your going to a very high ABV. All you have to do is add a small amount of sugar or honey at bottling time to get it to carbonate. Don't add sulfites or sorbate using this method though. its also important to ferment the mead dry before bottling or the yeast will eat too much sugar and you'll have bottle bombs anyways.

Hi thm57

Thank you and thank you for you're reply that's very helpful to know I'll let the yeast do its thing and leave it well alone. I used a mead yeast before which I was given by my homebrew shop is there one you would recommend? Thanks a lot

Personally I don't have much experience using different strains of yeast. I live in an area where shipping prices are outrageous and the only wine yeast people have on hand is ec-1118 (a champagne yeast). Hopefully one of the more experienced members will be able to chime in with more information.

You may use whichever yeast you want. Ale yeast may tend to leave a slightly sweeter mead, depending. My advice: Experiment. Cheers!

Thanks jjack887

I didn't know that about the Ale yeast I may give that a try. Cheers

Another question I don't know if anyone can help me with I am thinking of using frozen Strawberries is this a good idea?

Yes. Freeing breaks the cell walls of fruit, allowing more juice/flavor to be extracted. Be sure to thaw, obviously. You won't need to use pectic enzyme with frozen fruits.

Excellent thanks jjack887!! going to homebrew shop this weekend to get yeast and will get fruit so hopefully start it off this weekend cheers

Back