- Sep 9, 2018
- Reaction score
I used Lalvin 71b-1122.
During my sampling when I racked multiple times - First rack was “hot”. Second rack was more mellow but still boozy. Third and last rack was still a bit boozy. I know age will prob help that. I didn’t use any nutrients, which is the newbie move I made, but will that really affect everything?
I split the batch into 2 so I could backsweetening one and leave the other alone to compare notes. Few questions about backsweetening.
1) can I use just potassium sorbate or do I need to use both potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to stabilize?
2) when backsweetening I should wait atleast 2 days after stabilizing?
3) would it be a good idea to sweeten with strawberry kiwi of some sort to get a pronounced flavor or honey and water, just honey?
4) how long after back sweetening should I bottle?
5) As of right now the two (1)Gallon carboys are sitting in my closet on a shelf, there is a good amount of headspace, should I be worried about that?
6) has anyone read the book “How to brew mead like a Viking?”
I know it’s a ton of questions - thanks for any help I get.