Strawberry Cabana Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgayer

Reaction score
This has won some gold medals and it is no wonder. It is worth having a couple batches going. I will be making this as soon as possible as my friend will not part with any more!!

18 lbs Strawberries
4 lbs Bananas
18 lbs Wildflower Honey
2 tsp Yeast Nutruents
1 tsp Yeast Energizer
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme

Add all but one quart of water to the fermenter (3 gallons and 1 quart). Reserve one quart of water to boil - this is used to rinse the honey containers. Add all of the honey to the fermenter. Pour some of the hot water into each of the honey containers and shake to dissolve the remaining honey, and then add this to the fermenter. NOTE 1: Use caution when rinsing the honey containers, as pressure can build up in the containers.

Using the large spoon, wine degasser, or another sterilized tool of choice, mix the must until the honey is completely dissolved.

Add 2 teaspoons pectic enzyme, ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient, and stir well. Now, it is time to add the strawberries. NOTE 2: If you would rather add the strawberries to the secondary, feel free to do so. The recipe will work either way.

NOTE 3: The large amount of fruit will create a significant layer of sludge in the bottom of the fermentation bucket. This will make racking difficult later on. You can use a large grain bag (sterilized by boiling) to contain the sludge, or you can use a sterilized stainless steel scrubby stuck on the bottom of the racking cane to filter the sludge from the liquid during the siphon.

If you are using frozen strawberries, they should be thawed prior to adding to the must. If you are using fresh strawberries, they should be thoroughly rinsed and the caps and any bad spots should be removed. Cutting up the fresh strawberries may help with the flavor extraction. Add the thawed, room temperature strawberries to the mead must and stir well. Take your original specific gravity reading.

Re-hydrate the dry yeast if you have not already done so, by following the instructions on the packages. If you have an oxygenation system, put additional oxygen into the must. Once the yeast has been re-hydrated, make sure the must is between 60 and 70 degrees F, pitch the yeast and stir well; or, cover the bucket/pail with the lid and shake the fermenter vigorously to aerate. Attach the fermentation lock, and add liquid to the fermentation lock. Fermentation should begin within 24 hours.

Yeast Nutrient Schedule

Use the following schedule for adding the remaining yeast nutrient and energizer.

NOTE 4: When adding energizer and nutrient, stir slowly at first, as excessive foaming will occur. Once the foaming has subsided, stir vigorously to encourage aeration. Oxygen addition at this point in the fermentation is a good thing and will only help the final product. The degassing of CO2 from the must also helps with yeast health.

After 24 hours: add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

After 48 hours: add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

After 72 hours: Add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

Fermentation is best when kept at 70 degrees F or slightly lower.

The primary fermentation will last about 4 weeks. Buy the 4 pounds of ripe bananas before you rack to the secondary fermenter.

Transferring to the Secondary

When the activity in the airlock has pretty much stopped indicating the primary fermentation is complete, rack to a secondary fermenter (preferably glass). See NOTE 3 (above) for tips on racking from the primary to the secondary.

Now, it’s time to add the bananas. Trim off any stems that look moldy. Rinse the bananas before peeling them to remove molds and bacteria. Place a sterilized funnel in the carboy neck, and peel and place the bananas in the funnel. Use the end of the large spoon, or a racking cane or other sterilized device to mash the bananas into the carboy. This should break them up enough to extract the flavors and aromas. Attach a fermentation lock to the carboy and leave at 65 to 70 degrees F for 3 to 4 weeks.

After 3 to 4 weeks, rack to another carboy for aging and clarification. (See Note 3 for tips on racking.) Check the mead at this time for sweetness. If more sweetness is needed, add honey until you get the desired sweetness. To do this, add 1 pound of honey to 1 cup of hot water and gently mix this into the mead—do not aerate while mixing. Repeat until desired sweetness level is obtained. Some residual sweetness will be needed to balance the acid from the strawberries. You may want to add some potassium sorbate to inhibit any further fermentation.

This mead is nice either still or sparkling, but seems a bit better when sparkling. You can either carbonate in a keg, or bottle condition. If bottle conditioning, leave the mead at room temperature for a few months, but be sure to try one every few months so the carbonation doesn’t get away from you.

This mead is drinkable after 3 months, very nice at 4 months, and continues to get better with age, peaking somewhere around 1.5 to 2.5 years.

Should it be primed with more honey or corn sugar before bottling?

You can use either but if it is mead I use honey. Just a suggestion, and I know this creates some flack from the traditional mead brewers, but I would suggest you use store bought honey to do this. It is pasturized and doesn't have most of the stuff the organic does. Leaves less fall out!

Heres some I made
Strawberry_mead.JPG

Is there a reason you added the bananas to the secondary instead of the primary?

Why add yeast and nutrient in stages? Why not add the yeast all at once?

I guess I can add 1/2 of the Strawberries in the primary and the second 1/2 in the secondary? Would this give a stronger strawberry flavor or does the yeast need more of the berry juice to work with in the primary?

Any thoughts to adding some vanilla (extract or beans)?

Is there a reason you added the bananas to the secondary instead of the primary?

I guess I can add 1/2 of the Strawberries in the primary and the second 1/2 in the secondary? Would this give a stronger strawberry flavor or does the yeast need more of the berry juice to work with in the primary?

I've done this recipe once like this and once without the bananas. From what I understand, the bananas are put in the secondary to get more of the flavor/scent.

I did my second one of these w/o the bananas because it created too much waste when moving to secondary and tertiary. I have been thinking about adding vanilla beans to this one, but it's been mellowing out real nice and I think I may just leave it a lone. They will be a year in August and September, I believe.

Yes, bananas do not part with their flavor near as well as other fruits, adding the bananas to the secondary help get more flavor extracted.

All the yeast is added at the begining! The energizer and nutrients being added in steps has started becomming a much more popular way of brewing in the Mead circles I am in. It seems to assist in less stuck fermentations and improves the yeast health.

Strawberries can be done in any way you like. One thing I found was to just make a 5 gal batch of mead and then pull out a couple gallons when going to the secondary then adding all the fruit to the secondary. The fruit bags work nice from the brew shop to let the flavors come through without 2 gallons of fruit sludge. Just be careful on how long you leave the fruit in.

Adding vanilla or other spices are what gives that little extra. If you are experienced on adding and mixing flavors go for it. Some things a little goes a long way.

For a 3 gallon batch I use a hand held blender and mix 1 gal of water in a pot with a full flat of very ripe strawberries (pre-cleaned and stem removed) whiz into a pulpy liquid. I bring this to 185 deg for 10 min to sterilize the fruit and cool back to 110 deg before adding to the sterilized fermenting container. When adding to the fermenting container I run the pulp through a fine mesh strainer (I have used a clean and sterilized nylon stocking before, use one with lace at the top for extra sexyness!) If you wash your hands well and scrub with Iodine or other bacteria killing substance you can squeeze the pulp sack to remove more of the liquid from the strawberries. This method will remove most of the solids but not all. It's good to get a mesh fine enough to get all the seeds out. boil another gallon of water and mix in 12 lbs of light honey for a mild honey flavor or 12 lbs wild flower honey for a strong honey flavor. My last batch I mixed 6 lbs of wild flower honey and 5 lbs of cane sugar. (this is the fun part of home wine making, playing with the recipe) Using a sugar meter (if you plan on making wine often get one) I shoot for 25% to 30% Brix for a starting sweetness. I don't think adding the yeast food is necessary in stages mostly because every time you open the airlock it invites bad things into the wine. But if it's working rock on!

New to mead. I don't see any boiling as in beer or campden and acid as in wine. How do you keep the bad bugs out. Is honeys natural resistance to spoilage enough?

Yes. If you sanitize your equipment, odds are you will have no trouble with bad bugs. Things like added fruit can stand campden, since they don't have honey's resistance.

Reviving this seemingly awesome recipe thread. I plan to make soon but had a question: how many packages of yeast are used? I am sure it's got to be at least 2 but wanted to verify.

Also curious on the size of your primary (that's what she said) as that is a LOT of strawberries. I've never used this type of yeast before and have only done 1 mead prior to this (just bottled it this weekend in fact) so is headspace an issue with this strain? I'm guessing I'll use my 7.5 gal ferm bucket then the glass 6.5 secondary.

For carbing - is there a specific qty of honey that should be used?

Normal wine bottles used for final product? Anyone used the Zork Corks for sparkling beverages?

Thanks to any answers forthcoming!

One packet of yeast is enough to do a 5 gallon batch. I have used multiple packet just to increase the amount of yeast at the begining but it is not required. When the nutrients are added in steps in the primary it allows for a steady supply of food for the yeast to multiply and work at top performance without the off flavors.

Yes you will need a larger primary with all the fruit. I don't get it into a 5 gallon carboy until the bananas have been removed.

When using 71B-1122 yeast with meads, it is not as strong as it would be with a grape, you still need to consider headspace at the begining. The reason for using this yeast is the tropical fruit esters it creates and the reduction of malic acids . It really brings out the strawberries and bananas in the nose. Think of a Riesling.

about 2 to 2.5 lbs of honey will give a nice sparkle.
Guess I'm still too traditional to use the Zork.

What type of yeast did you use on this batch? I picked up all my supplies today and just need the yeast.

I'll be honest and admit that I haven't made it yet :/ I had everything except the strawberries....and dropped the ball. The yeast packets are hangin' out in my fridge still; I'm hoping to get it going soon though. I have Acid Blend and had thought about adding but I think the strawberries will add enough of that, personally....

Just started a batch of this yesterday. I am so excited to see the finiahed product. Looks legit.

This sounds interesting and I love everything strawberry banana. Strawberry is a hard flavor to get in beer, is it easier to get that flavor in mead? All those berries will probably soak up a lot of mead during transfer.

Was just about to start a bochet when I came across this. Anyone down for Strawberry Cabana... Bochet? Any advice? Will be my first bochet and third mead only.

Also, regarding the nutrients/energizer: dosage depends on which brand you use. Although exact constituents are not disclosed, concentrations vary. The Wyeast Wine nutrient which I use says 1/2 total is good for 5 gallons, for example.

I have also just come across this. Have you given this a crack? It will almost be a year now, so I was wondering how it has turned out.

Cheers

I ended up making 2 bochets - one cherry/vanilla, one grape/oak. No strawberry one. Tasted incredible upon bottling - rich, bold, maybe just a little rough still. Left it a friend's house for disciplined aging, to be collected in December only. Will try remember to report!

With bochets it doesn't much matter what honey you use (I mean, as long as it is real honey). The particular flavors boil away - you can smell them leave. Glorious. I stopped towards the end of the marshmallow/toffee phase. Think: what goes well with caramel/toffee/nut flavors? I'd say almost anything is possible.

Yeah...this is going to be my next batch of 3 gallon I'll probably do this weekend. I plan on using a 49oz. can strawberry puree tho and not mess with the strawberries...and dregs. Anybody have any opinion on simply using a can of puree? I'm reading I'm better off adding the bananas in the secondary. Dumb question...but "adding bananas"...are you just simply dropping in a whole banana or two. Or mashing? Seems adding one in the primary would be a good yeast nutrient as well. Probably use a V1116.

I guess another question I have is...how many bananas would one suggest for a 3 gallon batch. I LOVE a strong banana/strawberry flavor!

One of my other thoughts was "banana flavoring" if I didn't get the desired results.

I've never used bananas, but I think like other fruit, freezing them and adding to secondary (after thawing) would be a good method.
Not sure how much banana to add.
I'm skeptical that a banana will provide much nutrient value.

How long would you leave the bananas in the secondary? I made a one gallon batch of basic traditional that I was going to add to some really sweet batches I had...but decided to just keep this since I wanted to do a banana mead. I put the bananas in a mesh bag last week and into the secondary. Question is...how long should I let them set? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

I'm debating on putting bananas in my 3 gallons strawberry batch I need to transfer in a couple weeks...but wanted to get a feel for this one. My gal hates bananas too...go figure. How in the hell can you not love strawberry/banana anything?!?!

Search this forum for banana. Yooper posted a thread that has very good instructions on making banana wine. Using that method and adding strawberries should give you a great end product.

Would 1 gallon be equivalent to 3.79 liters? 1 US gallon?
I pretty much make a 1 gal brew in a 5 liter carboy. I add honey?water based on the OG i want and mostly add anything more to the secondary. I have found it goes almost to the neck (?), where the line thing is and is easy to manage as it's about right.

I did that basic mead to add to another like I think Blacksmith recommended...but after I transferred it I used a mesh bag with 5 bananas and let sit in the secondary for two weeks. I just transferred it over again go (rather messy with all the starchy lees)...but HOLY ****...the flavor was absolutely amazing when I tried it. I'll let it sit for another couple of weeks then bottle...but just can't get over that flavor.

Was going to add it possibly to my 3 gallon strawberry I have going on...but now it's just going to get bottles. Not sure now if I'll just add bananas in the secondary of my strawberry this weekend or not. I little messy...but it was well worth it IMO. Sitting at 12.6 ABV.

Last edited:
Given the enthusiastic comments, this recipe sounds like a winner. Did anyone try this recipe and not like the results?

The recipe yooper posted, and several others I have seen say sliced with skins on. But they are also simmering it to make the must

Back