Stratification in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kclaus

Reaction score
I racked to secondary exactly a week ago. The next morning, there was a clear layer of beer about two inches thick at the top of the carboy. Over the next 6.5 days, that's expanded to 3 inches, but at this rate it'll take a month (or more) to settle and it doesn't seem to be further clarifying. Wondering what's keeping solids (yeast?) suspended and whether I should wait it out before bottling?

I have 4 oz of citra hop pellet in a mesh bag floating at the top of the carboy. Not sure whether that's relevant?

Thanks for your help!

image.jpg

Man! You must give us some information about your brew such as ingredients You've used,OG and FG numbers,temperature,yeast kind and pitching rate etc. Otherwise We can not help you in any way and in my opinion, that is why nobody have replied to this tread yet.

I'd like to know what your OG was, your Gravity readings before you racked into secondary, and Fermentation temperatures.

Also Did you cold crash or anything?

I racked to secondary exactly a week ago. The next morning, there was a clear layer of beer about two inches thick at the top of the carboy. Over the next 6.5 days, that's expanded to 3 inches, but at this rate it'll take a month (or more) to settle and it doesn't seem to be further clarifying. Wondering what's keeping solids (yeast?) suspended and whether I should wait it out before bottling?

I have 4 oz of citra hop pellet in a mesh bag floating at the top of the carboy. Not sure whether that's relevant?

Thanks for your help!

If you have a refrigerator in which you can cold crash the carboy, it will speed settling of the particulates. You can cold crash at anywhere from 32º to 40º F (lower is better). Otherwise, you can just wait it out. Did you by any chance use a low flocculating yeast (the supplier's web site will tell you)? Lower flocculation yeasts settle out slower than higher flocculation yeasts. You might also look into fining agents such as gelatin, isinglass, polyclar, etc.

Brew on :mug:

Back