Strange Wort Separation & Cloudy Clumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balanced_Brew

Reaction score
So this photo is from an IPA I brewed 2 weeks ago, pretty soon after pitching yeast (like an hour or so). When I transferred from my kettle to the carboys via counterflow chiller, the beer had a strange haze I'd never seen before - and it stratified after I aerated it and pitched the yeast as seen below:

Anyone ever seen this before? Obviously it isn't a bacteria thing, as it's one hour removed from boiling, and it went away during fermentation as the yeast mixed it all up and everything settled out at the bottom, but I'm just really curious. I brewed a Red IPA last night and it happened again, though not quite as severe with the separation.

Nothing fancy about my setup or recipes, 152F mash, 45 minute sparge, 60 minute boil with whole leaf hop additions throughout. 2-row, crystal and munich malt.

Something to do with the very cold tap water in the CF Chiller?

2013-01-23_20-09-35_619.jpg

First couple hours I always see weirdness going on. Nothing to worry about!

Yeah, it's true, sometimes it does crazy things like that, other times I swear nothing is happening..

The big goobers look like cold break, while the sediment at the bottom is probably a lot of hot break.

Yep. OP do you use whirlfloc tablets? I do and almost every brew looks like this. Check this one out
4c241742-cbda-4c3a-b1b7-588fccf41ff9.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe that's it! I switched to whirlfloc from Irish Moss for the first time 2 brews ago - the first time I'd done it...all the other variables are the same more or less.

Back