Strange things in the new house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Here's a list of things that have happened in my new house.

1. While talking to my wife about the garbage disposal, the light over the sink turned on. We weren't near the switch at the time.
2. We hear what sounds like someone walking in the attic after we lay down to go to sleep. The attic is not finished and there is only an access panel and you need a ladder to get up there.
3. I was in the kitchen and you go walk from the kitchen to the living room and then back around through the eat-in kitchen to the kitchen, sort of a loop that goes around the back stairwell. I heard my wife shuffling her feet and I thought she was trying to play a trick on me and hide from me so I kept walking around the loop to find her but I never did. Turns out she was upstairs the whole time.
4. Same thing happened only I was in the kitchen early in the morning, about 5:30am, and I heard shuffling feet again but I wasn't moving.
5. Tonight, I was cleaning up after dinner, the wife is sick and was on the couch, I turned to go unload the dishwasher, I was about 10 feet away from it and it opened by itself.

What is going on?????

ghost%20poltergiest.jpg

How good of a deal did you get on the house?

It was built in 1997.

Bird, that pic didn't come out. And we got a fair deal but I do wonder about the original and/or previous owner. We bought the house from a businessman who bought it 3 months ago to rent it, he couldn't rent it so he sold it.

the_bird said:
I blame it on Floyd :D

That damn dog is always climbing around in the attic, turning on lights from the floor, opening dishwashers from the other room, and shuffling those little paws! :cross:

The force is strong with that one...

As long as you didn't get any poltergeist-juice on those beers you sent me (drinking the 65-65-65 right now, it's MFT).

poltergeist-juice is the special ingredient! Oh, and the other special ingredient is love.

trinitone said:
Civil War or Indian Burial Ground land perhaps?

I thought about the Civil War but there weren't any battles fought in Midlothian. The only activity was the Union took over the coal mines near here. Not sure about the native americans.

the_bird said:
You put love-juice in my brew? This is unlike any other cream ale I've ever had...

No, I make everything with love, that's what makes it good. (doesn't anyone watch Everybody Loves Raymond around here?)

todd_k said:
It was built in 1997.

Bird, that pic didn't come out. And we got a fair deal but I do wonder about the original and/or previous owner. We bought the house from a businessman who bought it 3 months ago to rent it, he couldn't rent it so he sold it.

Weirdness like this can happen no matter how old the house. Sometimes things get disturbed. The fact the guy coudn't rent it sends up red flags. I would think that as long as nothing happens to you guys "directly", and just sticks to messing with stuff, things will prolly settle down after a while.

Weirdness.

Ize

Tell the little "ghostie" that if he is going to open the dishwasher he has to unload it. Nothing chases someone/something away quicker than the thought of doing dishes. :D

Dude said:
Creepy man. Is SWMBO even gonna want to stay there by herself during the VAgraNCy brewfest??????

She's fine with it. There's nothing bad happening, it's just gets a little weird every once in a while.

Ize said:
Weirdness like this can happen no matter how old the house. Sometimes things get disturbed. The fact the guy coudn't rent it sends up red flags. I would think that as long as nothing happens to you guys "directly", and just sticks to messing with stuff, things will prolly settle down after a while.

Weirdness.

Ize

I think he couldn't rent it due to the fact that there was no fridge and no washer/dryer. Who is renting and already owns those appliances?

Flyin' Lion said:
Tell the little "ghostie" that if he is going to open the dishwasher he has to unload it. Nothing chases someone/something away quicker than the thought of doing dishes. :D

I know, right? I hate doing the dishes and since SWBO thinks she has the norovirus, I could have used a little help!

Brewpastor said:
I say put your brewing gear out alnog with all the ingredients and see if you have a brewing ghost.

Now we're getting somewhere! I need all the help I can get!

Brewpastor said:
I say put your brewing gear out alnog with all the ingredients and see if you have a brewing ghost.

Better yet, leave your dirty brew equipment out with some sponges and a bottle of iodophor. See if it's an obsessive-compulsive ghost! That could be really handy.

monk

I used to live in a house that I'm pretty sure was haunted. I didn't believe in ghosts until then. It was freaky, but as stupid as it sounds, you get used to it after a while.

So-

Whether it IS a "haunting" or spirit energy or whatever, here's what you do.

Pretend it is anyway, and go out of your way to get it on your side. ASAP, you want to do a little baking or brewing. If baking, take a little of the risen dough (just a pinch) and leave it somewhere out-of-the-way; if brewing, put a little cup of the finished wort (with pitched yeast) somewhere.

Then, sit down and talk (briefly) to the ghost. Tell them they are welcome to stick around, as long as boundaries are respected: No one gets hurt, nothing gets seriously damaged. On your part, you will love and respect the house and land, and be proud of its "unique" nature!

That should work quite well :)

Also, do the whole "salt-bread-wine" house blessing. It's just a good thing to do with any new place.

Seriously, I agree with P Funky. I had a simular situation and my sister-in-law (she's into that stuff) suggested the same thing, to talk to it and lay down the rules. I remember I could "feel" the thing moving around the room when I pitched my terms. Anyway it seemed to work.

Just have your back against the wall when ya do it.

Good lLuck!

P funky said:
Pretend it is anyway, and go out of your way to get it on your side. ASAP, you want to do a little baking or brewing. If baking, take a little of the risen dough (just a pinch) and leave it somewhere out-of-the-way; if brewing, put a little cup of the finished wort (with pitched yeast) somewhere.

I guess I don't follow you, why would I leave this stuff out?

JnJ said:
If you hear "GET OUT". do it! White people stay around to long.....

That was made up. The guys who wrote that movie admitted they made that stuff up.

todd_k said:
I guess I don't follow you, why would I leave this stuff out?

Eh, it's an old Sephardic (Spanish/Mediterranean) Jewish tradition. Every time they bake, they leave a little pinch somewhere. I just assumed it would translate over to beer. :)

P funky said:
Eh, it's an old Sephardic (Spanish/Mediterranean) Jewish tradition. Every time they bake, they leave a little pinch somewhere. I just assumed it would translate over to beer. :)

Wouldn't the ghost get a little pissed that you get 99.9% of the beer and it gets one lousy cup??? You don't want to antagonize it now do you?

I was pretty sure our house was haunted, then we had a house fire... Now I'm sure it WAS haunted, burn it down and get the insurance money...

So who was at my door today when I heard someone knocking????? No one, of course!

I think you should antagonize it. Tell it it's a p***y, it doesn't scare you, and you're going to make sure it leaves the house no matter what. Then go to sleep and see what happens.:D

todd_k said:
So who was at my door today when I heard someone knocking????? No one, of course!

Gotta admit, I'm a little envious. :D I would try the sit down tho, just to try to make things clear.

Keep us updated.

Ize

Back