Strange stuff going in the fermenter O.o

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys, planned to bottle one batch tonight and sanitized everything i needed, and 50 bottles.

THEN, i took a gravity reading and noticed that it was 1.022 :O
So, i immidiedly sanitized the airlock again and put the fermenter back, one thing i noticed is that there seemd to be alot of yeast ontop of the foam still, like it was just dead. (no mold, just looked exacly like when you pitch dry yeast ontop of foam and then let it sit)

So, i got the other fermenter, and did a gravity reading there, it was at 1.012 (so thought i should let it sit longer.)

Here is the beer diary from those 2 fermenters. Below SG is from tonight.

Geordie Scottish Export
OG: 1.040
SG: 1.022 (29.08.11)
FG:
Yeast pirched: 23°c
Fermented at: 17-23°c unstable
Fermenting:
1kg Dextros
-------------------

Muntons Gold Continential Lager
OG: 1.042
SG: 1.012 (29.08.11)
FG:
Yeast pitched: 22°c
Fermented at: 17-23°c unstable
Fermenting:
2 Cans LME
------------------

Now from the second fermenter, the Muntons Gold, i noticed a strange green very thin line at the very edge on the lid, on the inside. asuming it was something dangerous i got a cloth and sanitized it, and wiped that green line from the lid.

I know 7 days is not enough and all, but i have no beer !

So any ideas whats going on ?

post your grain bill so we can see what the final gravity should be. the green line in the fermenter might have been hop residue

The Munton's at 1.012 sounds like it could be done. But check it to make sure you have a stable FG. The other one sounds like it has a ways to go down yet. 1.022 is a little high. Let'em sit till you get a stable FG,then 3-5 days after that to clean up & settle out more. They'll taste better at that point too.

You need to be certain fermentation is done. 1.012 seems good, it is my favorite FG, but check it again after a couple days to make sure it is still 1.012 and hasn't dropped.

The one at 1.020 has done less than 50% attenuation, incredibly low, so is probably not done. Give it a little shake if it isn't dropping any more.

And what temp are they kept at. A colder temp can stop a fermentation. I had a Belgian that was at 1.022 for two weeks or more. I put an electric blanket around it on low (it was sitting in a house where the AC was set to 67) and it finished a few days later.

Slap your hands and leave them alone! :)

1.012 sounds finished with fermentation however that is a lager and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop down even lower. 1.022 too high gravity for your second brew for sure. Regardless you definitely need consistent gravity readings to confirm so with both before proceeding with any route.

I know it's tough, but leave them be! Go buy some craft beer, another beer kit (or piece together a recipe from around here!), get another bucket and CO2 lock, and brew again! Yes you're not drinking your beer yet but this will help satisfy your excitement over the hobby and there is nothing wrong with establishing a good solid pipeline. Sounds like you may need it! I know I did. :mug:

Don't shake it. If it is done, or stalled, you'll just oxidize it and end up with beer that tastes like wet cardboard.

Stop opening the fermenters to check on stuff. Just leave it alone for a few weeks.

I have to open it to take Gravity reading :)

Anyways the water in the airlock in the muntons, has not moved a bit, no CO2 is coming out of the airlock, its equal as it was when i put it in last night.

Im taking another reading on that one tonight and if its still 1.012 i might bottle, the instructions said FG should be around 1.014 so its about right :)

The heat got to about 25 once, so i put them both in 14°c water to cool down, so that might be what slowd down the fermentation on the Geordie Scottish Export kit.

Like i said in the first post, i have no beer so i need to bottle 1 batch sooner than i otherwise would.

Latest posts

Back