Strange infection problem (related to honey?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinoth

Reaction score
Heya guys, got a strange problem for ya. About a month ago I posted about my first infected batch here. I bottled the stuff even though it was super funky hoping it would mellow a little... here we are a month later and it is still super funky. I have very little hope for that batch, but I can't bring myself to pour it :(

I brewed another batch after that one (after cleaning my equipment thorougly). It was a Newcastle Brown Ale clone, and turned out -great-. Thinking my infection is cleared, I brewed another wheat almost identical to my first infected batch, and it is infected again!

I know bacteria can be weird, and it's possible I just got lucky with my in-between-infections batch... but I cleaned just as insanely each time so I'm wondering if something else is wrong.

The big difference between the brown ale and my two infected wheat batches is that the wheat recipe used a pound of honey. Could this somehow be the cause of my super funky taste? I used one of those generic honey bears from Kroger, and as far as I can tell it is 100% clover honey with no preservatives. I add the honey the last 5 minutes of boil. The wort tasted so good before fermenting, but tastes awful now with a hint of rotten vegetables.

Any insignt? Should I just switch to glass carboy and get all new tubing?

For reference, my most recent infected recipe is as follows:
6.6 lb wheat LME
1.0 lb honey
1.0 oz spaltz hop pellets (3.5%)
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

Well....Generic or not, honey has pretty strong antiseptic properties. I can pretty confidently say that your infection did not come from the honey.

Have you had anyone else actually diagnose your infection? It could be that you just don't like the taste that the honey provides.

Honey is one of very few natural foods that does not spoil. So I doubt that's it.The Egyptinas used to use Honey during mumification.

Well....Generic or not, honey has pretty strong antiseptic properties. I can pretty confidently say that your infection did not come from the honey.

Have you had anyone else actually diagnose your infection? It could be that you just don't like the taste that the honey provides.

+1

Are you sure it's just not green?????

I took a bottle down to the LHBS and the guy there thinks I have some wild yeast and not a bacterial infection. I'm gonna nuke all my equipment with some PBW and try again. Thanks for the insight!

Back